I have a metal shed about 15 metres from the back of the house and want to get power in there so I can run my table saw (Delta Unisaw - 3 HP, single phase). Option 1) is to get an external socket on the back of the house (cable would have to be run in the ceiling then down the back wall). From there I would have a long extension cord of suitable amperage rating (it wont be left there when not in use). Option 2) is not to terminate the cable at the socket but to extend it all the way to the shed - more hassle to achieve but much more convenient once set up - in this case, my question is - does the cable have to be placed underground (min. depth of 0.5 metre) or can it go underground to the fence, be run in conduit along the fence, then underground again so as to come up in the shed? This would involve a lot less digging. Someone told me that to run the cable along the plinth of the fence would be OK in terms of the regulations - but somehow I think NOT - I know there are a lot of electricians out there and would appreciate your advice (there is a book of rules I believe; AS3000 with a section on outbuildings? I don't have a copy) - I will be getting an electrician to do the work, but maybe not the digging - thanks!

More...