Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default IE - 7 Beta 2 - DOES IT WORK?????

Hi all,

I have received a copy of Interet Explorer 7, Beta 2, and was wondering if anyone has tried or knows of the program.

I am currently using (like most I suppose) IE6, and don't know it I should risk 'stuffing things up' by loadig the new program. Text of it sounds good, but then most new things do.

Anyway.....appreciate comments,

Tks,
    Bruce
    :confused:
    Cheers all !!

Bruce

(If you don't try...........you'll never know!)

i can't help you with IE7 sorry but if you are thinking about a up grade try mozilla firefox it's a free down load and if ya don't like it uninstall but i don't think you will

Go along with Goat..........firefox is easy to use,especially for dummies...........(me).....al
    If your not confused you dont know whats going on!

Yep, just love Firefox and its tabbed browsing. I'm co-administrator of a website and I can have the website open, the FTPsite open, remote server open and just click from one to the other, or have two or three pages of the site open when I'm shuffling things about.
    There are a million add ons as well, I particularly like the translation feature as I draw a lot of info from a German language site, the autotranslate feature is worth a laugh at times.

Thanks guys, appreciate it. I'll look up Firefox for a try.

Bruce.
    Cheers all !!

Bruce

http://www.mozilla.com/

just in case u can't find it

South Oz, the big smokey bit in the middle

Yeah Bruce, the Firefox addicts will come on and tell you how wonderful it is and to never go back. Don't believe them - try it and make your own choices. It doesn't suit everyone and I'm one of them. I went back to IE6.

IE7 comes with tabbed browsing. I used the beta1 version and it died. I suspect they've fixed that with the beta2 version. Uninstalling was a problem because whatever they screwed up with beta1, it remained after the uninstall - one of the dangers of using beta programs (from anyone). However, I simply used system restore to backtrack and that worked quickly and well. I tried the beta1 twice, just to see if the problem I struck was a one off - it wasn't. However, while the beta1 version worked, it looked good.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Daddles
    Yeah Bruce, the Firefox addicts will come on and tell you how wonderful it is and to never go back. Don't believe them - try it and make your own choices. It doesn't suit everyone and I'm one of them. I went back to IE6.
    Same here, I tryed Firefox then went back to IE.
    I cant download IE7 as apparently the guy who built my computer used a pirated version of Windows XP so I am locked out of any upgrades.

Al :mad:

Quote Originally Posted by ozwinner
    I cant download IE7 as apparently the guy who built my computer used a pirated version of Windows XP so I am locked out of any upgrades.

I've been using IE 7 B1 and now B2 for a while, and nary a shrek of a problem on the home PC & laptop, but on my (own) PC at work, the credential checker for some intranet apps (esp SAP) won't have a bar of IE7.

The tabbed browser plus various things that really should have been there ages ago all seem to work fine. As a Beta it still pretty bloated though (lots of redundant code)

I'm using B2 now. I had Firefox, liked most of it but not all of it. I'm reasonably happy with IEB2, it appears to be happier with my Zonealarms program. I'm no expert however, so can't comment on its code.

Cheers,

Mark
    silkwood

I am an IT person who is now in mgt. I used IE up until early this year when I moved to Firefox permanently. IE B2 is being used by my son and I tried it myself but I find I'm now a Firefox convert. The main reason is the Bookmarks can be synchronised over the internet between my PCs (7), There is a great FTP plug-in, a very useable download tool, single click dictionary etc and they are simple to use.

Firefox does not appear to knobble its code to deliberately upset the competition, nor has it locked itself into my OS irretrievably. In other words, it behaves and is very useable (for what I use it for).

Just as an afterthought for those who have (or might use) IE 7 B1 or B2. If you want to remove it, go to the Control Panel, then Add/Remove programs - and ensure that you have checked the "show updates" box at the top, else you won't see the S/W as a removeable item.

It might also (belt & braces) be worthwhile setting a restore point (if using XP) prior to this.

Quote Originally Posted by ozwinner

Again, Many thanks for ALL your input. Ill think about it all before commitment.

AL,
    IE B2 is available on disc in this months (Sept. 2006 No.29) Windows XP mag. Freeby Disc. if you are interested.

Many thanks.
    Bruce
    Cheers all !!

Bruce

Set a recover point and give it ago, most beta 2's are fairly good and you can always go back.

Plus if it stuffs up you can warn us all.

I went to Microsoft.com & they have IE7 beta3 - interestingly enough they direct you to turn off your anti-virus & firewal programs before installing & then insist you be on line to download 'updates' - (when you have the latest version from them???:confused: :confused: ) - if you aren't online or have AV & firewall on it falls over half way thru' installing.

I'm betting there aren't too many folks out there who are willing to go online with no AV or firewall - one magazine reported it takes about 30 seconds for 'someone' to start loading malware of some sort onto your system if you don't have a firewall & AV running.

I use both IE & Firefox - IE handles sites that update regularly & include the date as part of the URL MUCH better than Firefox, while Firefox handles sites such as these forums MUCH better than IE. "Horses for Courses". And I have great trouble getting Firefox to download its own updates for some reason - it keeps reporting updates but then refuses to find them:confused: :confused: