Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default My wife is not convinced....

that this is the only reason I drink.
    --------------------------

Official: drinking improves thinking

Bernard O'Riordan in Sydney
    Thursday August 4, 2005
    The Guardian

It is guaranteed to raise a cheer among those who enjoy a tipple: moderate drinkers are better thinkers than teetotallers or those who overindulge.

Research by the Australian National University in Canberra suggests drinking in moderation boost your brainpower. But none at all, or too much, can make you a dullard.

A study of 7,000 people in their early 20s, 40s and 60s found that those who drank within safe limits had better verbal skills, memory and speed of thinking than those at the extremes of the drinking spectrum. The safe consumption level was considered to be 14 to 28 standard drinks a week for a man and seven to 14 for a woman.

Questions ranged from verbal reasoning problems to tests of short-term memory. Surprisingly, perhaps, teetotallers were twice as likely as occasional drinkers to achieve the lowest scores.

Bryan Rodgers, from ANU's Centre for Mental Health Research, said moderate drinkers not only performed the best, but also seemed to be the healthiest. "This does not necessarily show moderate alcohol use is good for our brains - there may be other reasons we haven't measured to explain the poor performance of non-drinkers," Dr Rodgers said.

The results may reflect the fact that alcohol can reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease and increase blood flow to the brain - factors linked to improved mental function. They also support research that suggests moderate alcohol intake can reduce the risk of heart attacks and strokes by improving circulation.

The Australian study is part of a 20-year project started in 1999 to examine the changes in thinking and mood as people age.

It only takes one drink to get me loaded. Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or fourteenth.

South Oz, the big smokey bit in the middle

I bet that mob of drunken researchers carefully selected their victims - you know, get the moderate drinkers from a Mensa meeting ... and the non-drinkers from a Woodies meeting. No, hang on, that wouldn't work, all us woodies are pith-pots

Richard

I'm not convinced.
    I had 28 standard drinks last night, which is all I had for the entire week, and I don't remember nuthin'.
    Boring signature time again!

Cool: another reason to drink. Don't the french have low rates of heart disease because of all the red wine they drink?

Never let the truth stand in the way of a good excuse.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them . . . well, I have others.