Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Energy saver bulbs in party lights?

Just wanting the information at the moment.

Is it safe, legal, worthwhile to replace party light bulbs [25W] with the energy saver bulb[s] rated at 15-20W. The cable says max 250W which equals 10 x 25w incandescent bulbs.

My thought was that at some stage in the future I could have call for a "string" of party lights over some machines - but to provide better light - to use the energy saver bulbs which give off an equivalent of 75 - 100W of light but to still use them safely in the already set up cable.

Any thoughts?
    Regards,
    Bob

You should have no problems as you will be drawing less current than the incandesant globes.

Only prob might be the initial flash up but wouldn't expect it to be a problem.

You could do it Bob but if were my shed I'd be looking at installing a couple of extra fluorescent fittings.
    Dan

Thanks for the info Benny and Dan.

- Dan, I do have fluros running on wires across the shed as well as some fixed. The thought for the above question was for a temporary fix in another location where I had to be.
    Regards,
    Bob

Hi Bob

Should work OK, but will you have enough need for them to justify the capital cost?

Remember, energy saver globes are a type of fluorescent light and in an industrial setting should always be installed in pairs, otherwise the flashing may cause operating machinery to appear to be stationary.

Cheers

Graeme

Quote Originally Posted by GraemeCook View Post
    Hi Bob

Should work OK, but will you have enough need for them to justify the capital cost?

Remember, energy saver globes are a type of fluorescent light and in an industrial setting should always be installed in pairs, otherwise the flashing may cause operating machinery to appear to be stationary.

Cheers

Graeme
    Thanks, I was aware of the potential problems of flashing. As to the cost - umm - being careful with $$ as I am [cheapskate] - I was looking at temporarily removing them from other areas and returning them when finished.

Essentially, I was simply looking at the feasability of it.
    regards,
    Bob