Hi,

I've just purchased a very small property and am having the roof replaced with Zincalume sheeting and Colorbond guttering and drainpipes because it supposedly leaks terribly. The roof is VERY small (the whole house is only about 10m x 6m) and the roof has a VERY low pitch. I'm not sure if you could even actually get inside it.

My building inspectors said the roof needed replacing and the battens, but not the steel frame, which is showing signs of surface rust only. The previous owners didn't maintain the house at all and the chipboard-looking ceilings are all caved in and mouldy. The house isn't worth spending a lot of money on, but I can't afford to demolish and rebuild (I bought for the size of the garden and because I'm not flush), so I'm getting the basic essentials done. I have absolutely NO IDEA about building/renos whatsoever and am worried about being ripped off, or doing things in the wrong order.

My questions are:

1. My building inspectors say replacing the roof, guttering, drainpipes and battens should cost about $6000 all up. Is that about right?

2. Should I have the roof or the ceilings replaced first, or do they need to be done at the same time?

Any advice you can give me would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...