Thread: shower hob

Default shower hob

retiling bathroom. yellow tongue and cement sheet on floor. shower in corner with hob ( i know i could do it without) and screen sitting on that . Planning on building up hob from treated pine to get height for pebble band ( about 100mm high) around outside. Reasoning that floor is flexible so dont want to use brick. Cement sheet over pine then screed inside hob, then membrane over the lot and up walls. Does this sound like a good plan for the hob, or are there some better ideas out there? Does cement sheet need primer before screed? Mainly concerned with hob buildup

Thanks
    "World's oldest kid"

I don't see why not, as long as you buy dried treated pine otherwise shrinkage of the wet stuff may compromise the structure. And as long as you are absolutely scrupulous in the application of the w/p

Cheers
    Michael

Just curious, but why are you doing one with a hob? Since you are replacing the shower, isn't it easier without?

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
    Just curious, but why are you doing one with a hob? Since you are replacing the shower, isn't it easier without?

Its what the client wants
    "World's oldest kid"

The tiler doing ours is going to use a special angle aliminium surround on the floor & build up inside it with a slope into the drain & then tile the inside.
    The aliminium shower screen then sits on the aliminium sourround.
    It is going on an existing concrete floor but he says it could go on a floor like yours.
    He will be back Monday, I'll ask him for the details of this stuff & post it back here.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rogers View Post
    The tiler doing ours is going to use a special angle aliminium surround on the floor & build up inside it with a slope into the drain & then tile the inside.
    The aliminium shower screen then sits on the aliminium sourround.
    It is going on an existing concrete floor but he says it could go on a floor like yours.
    He will be back Monday, I'll ask him for the details of this stuff & post it back here.
    Yep sounds like he's making the room floor run into the shower and the aluminium is usually an angle that is put in place to help stop any water that gets beyond the tiles from soaking through the screed into the rest of the room. My client WANTS a hob to raise up around the shower area and then the screen mounts on it. About 100mm high. I only need screed inside the hob ( to create fall to the drain). outside the tiles will be straight on the cement sheet with membrane of course.
    Still question remains about primer before screed over cement sheet?
    "World's oldest kid"

It is going on top of an existing concrete floor that has had the pipework chased into it.
    The ali bracket will stand about 80mm of the floor at the outside & it has a small lip about 30mm down the inside edge that the new shower base is screeded to.
    When it is tiled, there will be about 70mm of ali showing on the outside & about 20mm showing on the inside.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Regardless, this thread was created to ask advice on my plans, 'cos I have a band of pebble tiles to fit outside and its going to start being put into place tomorrow. hope yours works as I hope mine does 'cos its in someones elses place.

Thanks for your answer mic-d - useful
    "World's oldest kid"

Andrew, AS 3740 prohibits the use of timber for a hob, it must be masonry (or hebel), you might want to get a copy for the other details.

Cheers
    Pulse

Well, guess i better not tell them ( AS that is ) , can imagine the reasoning ( rot etc ) but what about chipboard flooring????????????????
    And what happens when floor flexs and masonry breaks loose? How do you fasten it down? Thats why i'm using treated pine with heaps of membrane under and over cement sheet capping.
    'Sides its too late now.
    Is there a way to get AS doc's over the net, for nicks?
    "World's oldest kid"

Some universities have access accounts using your student number...

Cheers
    Pulse