Hi Guys and Girls,

I have a house in Boronia in melbourne and the front of the house is a small portico ( about 3m wide x 1700m deep flat tin roof) and i was wondering about the $5000.00 permit limit.

I would like to extend that portico to become a veranda (flat or bullnose not sure yet) across the whole front of the house. (still keeping it the 1700 deep) Each side of the house extends 4m and 4.5m from the portico, so we are not talking a huge extension here. But as the sun sets directly in front of the house, the front wall gets all the hot sun. Hence the veranda.

Now comes the question, how is the $5000 permit threshold calculated? does my time get counted? do i have to keep prices etc? do I have to supply plans to council?

The spans should not be a problem as the exsisting portico is supported by two big brick posts that suppor the current floor, so a couple more of those and some decent beams will span that 4m no problem. If needed the rear of the veranda (closest to the house) can have there own concreate stumps just like the house.

So all in all there should be no problem comming in under the 5k for materials and once I get some idea of the permit process i can start getting some sizes and plans.

thanks for your time

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...