Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Architrave Type?

Can anyone tell me if there is a name for these architraves (typical Cal bungalow i believe).

Can they be purcashed anywhere or need to be made. My builder is talking about getting bullnose architraves but I dont believe these are the same as the photo.

Cheers

Cobber

Cobber,can you take a pic closer up??Can't see the detail.

Tools

That looks like it is just 3 x 1 DAR with the top one cut with a splayed end.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry_White View Post
    That looks like it is just 3 x 1 DAR with the top one cut with a splayed end.
    That's what it looks like to me as well, although it's out of something wider than 3 X 1. It looks like it's out of something that's at least 120 X 19.
    You'd have to cut each set to suit the window dimensions. The sides taper towards the top, and the top tapers towards each side. It's pretty common in Cal. bungalows, and if the builder just wants to install bullnose, then he's cutting corners and trying to save money. It certainly won't match what you've got there.

Pardon my ignorance here but what is DAR?

Quote Originally Posted by Cobber View Post
    Dressed All Round. (It should be DAA for dressed all Around but who am I to criticise poor grammar)
    It just means that the timber is planed smooth instead of rough sawn.

Thanks John,

I cant do this sort of thing myself.

I dont believe that this is made and needs to be handmade.

Do you think I could get a carpenter to make them unless anyone knows where I can get them from?

Cobber

Take your pick. http://www.google.com.au/custom?hl=e...cr%3DcountryAU

Or even more senarios. http://www.google.com.au/custom?q=DA...B&start=0&sa=N

Thanks John,

I cant do this sort of thing myself.

I dont believe that this is made and needs to be handmade.

Do you think I could get a carpenter to make them unless anyone knows where I can get them from?

Cobber
    There's nothing special about the timber. It's just square milled stuff with no profile that comes straight off the shelf. You have to cut the sides so that they taper towards the top, and you have to cut the top so that it tapers towards each side, but if you haven't got a saw then you'd better call a carpenter. But then even if you were considering installing them yourself, you'd need some sort of saw to cut the joints. No architraves come pre-measured and cut, ready to nail on.

Thanks - I will ask the carpenter to make them for me...hoepfully the bas'tards dont sting me...as I will need all the windows done. They were going to install bullnose (straight from Bowens I believe) so hopefully it wont be too much extra work.

Thanks - I will ask the carpenter to make them for me...hoepfully the bas'tards dont sting me...as I will need all the windows done. They were going to install bullnose (straight from Bowens I believe) so hopefully it wont be too much extra work.
    It seems that you don't have a contract or it would be specified. If they're external architraves as shown in the photo, then you'd have to use WRC (western red cedar), and if they've only allowed for a small bullnose at 42X19mm then it costs about $4.80 per metre. To match what you've got in the photo, you'd need 120X19 which costs about $11.15 per metre. The extra labour in cutting the edges and planing them smooth should take no more than 15 minutes per window, or about ten bucks.
    To install architraves on the window you've shown, including the narrower sill piece on the bottom, and a quad mould for underneath, would cost about $70 in material and a chippy should be able to do it in well under an hour at $35/hr. Of course you have to allow a little bit for measuring up and ordering material, driving to the site and setting up your tools/ ladders etc.

Quote Originally Posted by pawnhead View Post
    and a chippy should be able to do it in well under an hour at $35/hr. .

In your dreams $wise....

Try about double that and youd be close.

Al

For a house lot . . . $15.00 / window labour only & i'd give away designing houses.
    Peter Clarkson

www.ausdesign.com.au

This information is intended to provide general information only.
    It does not purport to be a comprehensive advice.

I think he meant 15 minutes per window.

I do have a contract but for some reason it doesnt specify what sort of external architraves....the trouble is my house current doesnt have any because it used to have that old fake brick cladding on it so they got rid of them when they installed it.

So how much work is it make one architrave...cut and plane? I dont believe it should be too hard but what would I know...the builder will probably say it is.

the piece at the bottom should be part of the window sill. ie all one piece
    If that sill is,nt there then you have a major job to fit and weather proof that joint. Then the joint will need flushing up when the glue has dried. After that the time to install the archs will also depend on wether the weatherboards are fitted to the archs or are slipped in behind. Would be better with a close up picture.