Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Outlook 2007 problem

Here we go again I hear you say!

Lately i have had the error message : 0x80040600 and up until two days ago it fixed itself. Now i cannot send or receive e mails through outlook. I have trawled through the Microsoft sites and even contacted them by phone but they don't want to know about it. 'Your microsoft reseller may be able to help you'.

All of the advice ended up in dead ends- the thing wouldn't open or the error message came up but i did manage to find 2 programs on the computer- scanpst.exe, one of which looked like it was corrupt.

My latest theory is remove outlook 2007 and reload it. I have the discs.
    Would this fix up this scanpst.exe program? Is it a part of Outlook?
    And if i did this, is it possible to save my existing emails and address book?

........and finally- will this work?

Any help would be appreciated by someone who would rather be down the shed than fiddling around here.

Graham

Ok Graham I need a little bit of info.

What makes you think this file is corrupt.

This executable is used to repair outlook personal folders.

What Microsoft Windows are you running (XP, XP Pro, Vista, Win7)

What anti_virus software are you using.

Have you turned off your anti_virus software and tried to start outlook.

Removing outlook and reloading it you will lose all your emails etc....

You have to get outlook started and then export all your emails.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bleeder View Post

Thanks, have used this one but gave it another go. No joy.

Graham

Ok Graham I need a little bit of info.

(But does it have to be your post no. 666? )

What makes you think this file is corrupt.
    Outlook gives the error message and the microsoft web assistance tells me to open this file. I finally 'found it' yesterday. There were 2 files. One icon was OK but the other had a picture of a crack across it.

This executable is used to repair outlook personal folders.

What Microsoft Windows are you running (XP, XP Pro, Vista, Win7)
    Win 7

What anti_virus software are you using.
    AGV, McAfee

Have you turned off your anti_virus software and tried to start outlook.
    No. But I will try. Stay tuned.

Removing outlook and reloading it you will lose all your emails etc....

You have to get outlook started and then export all your emails.
    If you know of a way to do this it would be appreciated. I can get Outlook started OK, just can't send ot receive. I can receive if I link up to Bigpond and i can send and receive from my dept of Education e mail address, so i guess it's not the computer, it's the program.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Graham

Ok Graham,

Once you get mail started goto file on the top bar (click) then you see a label 'Import and Export'. Click on this and select export to a file. then select 'Personal Folder File (.pst)' then click next. The select Inbox and follow the instructions.....then select other folders that you have stored mail in and do the same. This will save all you mail in .pst files. Then you can reload Outlook 2007 the just do the import from a file and follow the prompts.

BTW sorry about the 666.

I also work for the department. ITD at St Leonards

Outlook stores all of your email data in a .pst file, called outlook.pst by default, but it can be instructed to use a different filename.

The error message/code suggests that this file is corrupted and needs to be repaired. MS supply a file called scanpst.exe on the install disk that can scan and sometimes correct a corrupted .pst file.

I would suggest that you proceed in the following manner.

Use a search function to locate the .pst file, and make a copy of it to the desktop or other easily found location e.g. a new top level directory. (MS bury it deeply in a stack of folders and sub folders). When you make the copy give it another name e.g. check.pst.

Use the search function to locate scanpst.exe and copy it to a top level directory (could be the same one that you put the copied .pst file into)

Run the copied scanpst.exe file( mine has the cracked icon) . This should present a window asking which file you wish to scan. Use the browse button beside the file name box to locate and select the copy of the .pst file. This preserves the original in case you need to resort to more extreme recovery programs.

Once you have provided the file details, click the start button to scan the file. The scan may be quick if there is not much wrong with the file, or may take a considerable time if there are a lot of errors. Upon completion, scanpst will give you a summary of errors found and the option to try and repair them.

As you can get Outlook to run but not get the original data file to load, you can create a new account in outlook and direct it to use the copied and fixed .pst file , but leave the original account as default . In Outlook 2003, you can do this from the File, Data File Management menu item,or the Control Panel Mail option (XP). In either case you need to be able to supply the email account name and domain, and the password. If the file is repaired properly, and the new account set up properly, you should have access to all prior Outlook data. Once certain that you have recovered the data, you can delete the second account within Outlook, close Outlook, and copy the recovered .pst back to the original location overwriting the corrupted file. Because the original file is still the Outlook default data file, Outlook should open the copied file and use it.

If the recovered file is not usable when you first attempt to load it into Outlook, you can still send and recieve emails by setting up a second account with a different data file name and making it the default account. Future data will be placed into that file to give email access while you take other measures to revover the past data. Once the data is finally recovered, the past data can be imported into the new file or vice versa to consolidate all data into a single file.

Hope this helps

Ok Graham,

Once you get mail started goto file on the top bar (click) then you see a label 'Import and Export'. Click on this and select export to a file. then select 'Personal Folder File (.pst)' then click next. The select Inbox and follow the instructions.....then select other folders that you have stored mail in and do the same. This will save all you mail in .pst files. Then you can reload Outlook 2007 the just do the import from a file and follow the prompts.

BTW sorry about the 666.

I also work for the department. ITD at St Leonards
    Good advice, but would be better to select the 'Personal Folders' level, and tick the 'Include Subfolders' box. This way he will get ALL his folders, including contacts, and address book, in one single file.
    Chris
    ========================================

Life isn't always fair

....................but it's better than the alternative.

Wow!
    Thanks guys. Now where to start? I'll try one and then the others.

Graham

[QUOTE=The Bleeder;1313509]Ok Graham,

After saving my files do I uninstall Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 and then reload it?.

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by malb View Post
    Outlook stores all of your email data in a .pst file, called outlook.pst by default, but it can be instructed to use a different filename.

The error message/code suggests that this file is corrupted and needs to be repaired. MS supply a file called scanpst.exe on the install disk that can scan and sometimes correct a corrupted .pst file.

I would suggest that you proceed in the following manner.

Use a search function to locate the .pst file, and make a copy of it to the desktop or other easily found location e.g. a new top level directory. (MS bury it deeply in a stack of folders and sub folders). When you make the copy give it another name e.g. check.pst.

Use the search function to locate scanpst.exe and copy it to a top level directory (could be the same one that you put the copied .pst file into)

Run the copied scanpst.exe file( mine has the cracked icon) . I get to here and there is an error message : 'prog can't start because OLMAPI32.dll is missing. Try reinstalling the program. I did a search on OLMAP... and it appears a common problem as well with lots of companies offering to sell OLMAP.. to me. Any ideas?

This should present a window asking which file you wish to scan. Use the browse button beside the file name box to locate and select the copy of the .pst file. This preserves the original in case you need to resort to more extreme recovery programs.

Once you have provided the file details, click the start button to scan the file. The scan may be quick if there is not much wrong with the file, or may take a considerable time if there are a lot of errors. Upon completion, scanpst will give you a summary of errors found and the option to try and repair them.

As you can get Outlook to run but not get the original data file to load, you can create a new account in outlook and direct it to use the copied and fixed .pst file , but leave the original account as default . In Outlook 2003, you can do this from the File, Data File Management menu item,or the Control Panel Mail option (XP). In either case you need to be able to supply the email account name and domain, and the password. If the file is repaired properly, and the new account set up properly, you should have access to all prior Outlook data. Once certain that you have recovered the data, you can delete the second account within Outlook, close Outlook, and copy the recovered .pst back to the original location overwriting the corrupted file. Because the original file is still the Outlook default data file, Outlook should open the copied file and use it.

If the recovered file is not usable when you first attempt to load it into Outlook, you can still send and recieve emails by setting up a second account with a different data file name and making it the default account. Future data will be placed into that file to give email access while you take other measures to revover the past data. Once the data is finally recovered, the past data can be imported into the new file or vice versa to consolidate all data into a single file.

Hope this helps
    Graham

Can you check if you've got OLMAPI.dll in c:\program files\microsoft office folder. It's installed as part of MS Office Professional. If it's there, for Office 2007 it should have a date of 8/12/10 (provided you use the MS software updates). Older versions of office have different versions of this dll file.

Also, have you been able to find your outlook.pst file? How big is (in KB)?

ajw

Hi Graham

First question - why two anti-virus programs?. It's not only likely to be slowing your PC down like crazy, they are likely to trigger each other when they start scanning memory or the file system for virus patterns as they are using those same patterns in the search!. I'd personally be uninstalling McAfee and just using AVG, or even better, Avast Free.

With this problem, it seems that it's because Outlook is trying to access a PST (archive) file and it's corrupt. The first step I'd look at doing is to close the PST in outlook so you can at least use it again.

Then do a search on your harddrive for files of the type .pst and run that scanpst.exe on it to fix them. Once it's done it's stuff, you should be able to open the PST back up like normal in outlook.

More info here
    Error message when you try to read or to delete email or when you click "Send/Receive" in Outlook: "An unknown error has occurred" or "Messaging interface has caused an unknown error"

The OLMAPI32.DLL can probably be fixed by going into Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Office 2007. Right click and choose "Change" and this will bring up the repair window. Choose Repair and hit continue and see if that sorts it out for you

Cheers
    Andrew
    ---

Visit my blog The Woodwork Geek to see what I've been up to or follow my ramblings on Twitter

[QUOTE=andrewr79;1313642]Hi Graham

First question - why two anti-virus programs?. It's not only likely to be slowing your PC down like crazy, they are likely to trigger each other when they start scanning memory or the file system for virus patterns as they are using those same patterns in the search!. I'd personally be uninstalling McAfee and just using AVG, or even better, Avast Free. Done

With this problem, it seems that it's because Outlook is trying to access a PST (archive) file and it's corrupt. The first step I'd look at doing is to close the PST in outlook so you can at least use it again. The PST file is already closed and asked what program i want to open it. So if it's not open, is it closed?

Thanks Andrew

Andrew,
    I have spent 2 days exploring all the avenues of the link you gave me. it only confirmed my belief that there are zillions of other people with the same problem and there are companies around who are ready to exploit this weakness in Outlook.

re the repair: I have attempted that a few times and come up with the error that one of the programs is missing. Again there are people with the same problem and companies ready to sell the missing program.

Someone asked about the size of the outlook pst file. i can't open it to tell but there is a message that says larger than 512MB.

Graham