Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: what's going on

Default what's going on

We have just had two phone connections added to the existing one.
    (the existing one being for the normal phone)
    1 was for the cordless
    and the other so that we could connect the 2 computers to a double phone adapter so that we do not have to keep unplugging the phone line and plugging the other one back in ( it is under the desk against the back wall and awkward to get to).

The problem

When we pick up the normal phone my computer turns on ??????? and yesterday it started to dial up the internet. It does not do the same for the other computer. My computer the one with the problems is xp home with service pack 2, the other is win 98se. Both computers have just been reformatted and the operating system re-installed. I am wondering if during this process the pc shop has missed something out during the installation of explorer and outlook, or not put a tick against something ( but what)We also had an electrician put in the connections, I could of course ask him to come and look at it, however it took him 5 weeks to do the job ( we live in a very small country town and it is not quite so easy as living in the city). I also know I phoned telecom but got the run-around.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jean Bloom

Two things you could try:

1/ wait for someone that knows what they are talking about

2/ look up troubleshooting guide for possession.
    If it isn't covered I think your best bet is to fill the case with holy water. If that doesn't stop it turning on, then bury it face down under a cross road.

No, No, don't thank me, I'm just happy I could help.
    Great minds discuss ideas,
    average minds discuss events,
    small minds discuss people

Jean,

What is the country town? I am in the telecommunications industry and I may be able to get someone to assist you in your area.
    - Wood Borer

Not a PC expert but it sounds like you may have "wake on phone" enabled in your PC's BIOS.

When you pick up your phone, the other (PC) extension "hears" this and decides that it is a incoming phonne call and decides to power up.

I used to have a similar problem with my PC but only on incoming calls.

To turn this off you need to go into your PC's BIOS.

Probably not a good idea if you don't know what you are doing.

A simple work around is to turn your PC off at the wall, then it won't be able to power up.

I second Craig - this technology is also known as "wake on ring", "wake on phone", "wake on modem" or "modem wake-up".

It can be hidden under the BIOS somewhere, and/or a Power Management (APM or PME) setting.

Cheers,
    Andrew

For XP:
    "To enable a device to wake the computer"

"In Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.
    Click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
    Select the device that you want to wake the system, and then double-click to open the Properties dialog box.
    On the Power Management tab, click Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby."