Hello,

I've got a bunch of architraves to fit. I've made up some simple ones myself as I didn't want/like the ones available. Their being fitted to existing western red cedar windows that have been taken back to timber. They're a simple square profile only about 65x9mm thick with a small edge chamfer.

Anyway, the plasterboard isn't perfectly flush with the edge of the window (of course). When it sits proud of the edge of the window I've planed the back of the outer edge of the architrave down and are happy with this approach.

My question relates to the opposite situation, where the plasterboard is recessed from the window. I could plane the inside edge of the architrave, not touching the actual inside but at an angle so that it can sit flat against the wall without a gap showing between the architrave and the window. But this seems a little fiddley and may not work when the plasterboard is recessed too much. Alternatively I could fit it flush to the architrave and just use a plaster filler behind the architrave. Though I'm not sure if this approach would look a little dodgy.

I've had a look online and everywhere talks about the measuring and mitreing, which I'm OK with, but not this aspect, which I find odd as from what I understand it's not an uncommon problem. Perhaps my choice of a thin architrave has this to the point that it becomes a problem, but I'm happy to work with that.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers,
Mike.

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...