Default Malaysian Rubberwood finish problem

Hi

I was hoping that someone here may be able to offer some thoughts. I recently bought a coffee made of Malaysian rubberwood. We only had the table for 3 days and it had been barely used when I came home from work and noticed a sticky spot and when I wiped it with a damp cloth a patch of varnish rubbed off. As I said the table had been barely used as we also bought a new rug that the table sits on so the kids have been told not to eat or drink anywhere near the mat. I quizzed the kids about whether they had had anything on the table and the only thing that they can think of is my daughter ate her breakfast cereal on it and the night before she thinks that she ate her tinned fruit (pears in syrup) on there. I think that I can say with some certainty that no solvents have been near it. The shop that we bought it off keep trying to tell me that I have spilt nail polish on it disregarding the fact that I keep telling them that I dont wear nail polish so there is no chance of that! Does anyone have any ideas of what may have caused this type of damage and also is there any possibility of a fault in the finish, perhaps a weak spot.

TIA

I'll bet you anything the sticky had a taste of pear syrup to it. Most of those rubberwood tables will mark readily if spills are not cleaned off quickly and regularly, if cups have a wet bottom, if plates, etc are hot and even worse hot and wet. Yes it will look like the finish has been removed.

It'll be the fault of the daughter, not the shop. They just sell the stuff. It's up to you to look after it and educate the whole family on how to treat it. Use place mats, coasters, etc. wipe up spills (no matter how small) immediately.

Sorry, but it's cheap furniture with an equally cheap finish.

Cheers - Neil
    KEEP A LID ON THE GARBAGE... Report spam, scams, and inappropriate posts, PMs and Blogs.
    Use the Report icon at the bottom of all Posts, PM's and Blog entries.