Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default finishing bamboo benchtops

Hi all

We have just bought bamboo benchtops for our new kitchen, but our now trying to decide how to finish them! We like the matt look of the unfinished benchtops, so have been thinking about just oiling with paraffin oil. What would your opinions be on how practical this would be, particularly nearly the stove and sink with reference to water and food splashes? Or do you think we need a varnish/gloss finish to give more protection and to make the benchtops easier to clean? We have been looking at the Bio gloss floor polish from bioproducts.com.au if we go the glossy route as it is non-toxic. Does anyone have any experience with their products? Any ideas gratefully received as we are unsure which way to go at the moment!

Hi itsmadhere,

I'd probably go down the 2 pack poly path to keep any moisture out all together including coating the edges of the sink cutout. An oil finish will make it look very nice but after a year or so it may let some water penetrate. If it's compressed bamboo it will take stain to but may need multiple coats to really darken the colour.

I've got a bamboo floor that is prefinished and made out of t&g compressed woven bamboo boards. Recently we had some rain get in through the roof and onto the floor, probably around half a bucket in quantity and the boards swelled up real quick. They've started to shrink back now after 6 months but I think I'm going to have to sand them off and reseal.

I hope this helps.

cheers

Bryan