G'day all,

Over the years I've built a few outdoor structures like carports, pergolas, gazebos, etc, some with a roof and some without. I usually check in the beams on the posts, so they have something solid to sit on and carry the weight, rather than just a couple of bolts. But I've also noticed some damage to posts, especially at the top when the grain is open to the weather, and even more especially at the base of the checked in part where the beam is sitting. Doesn't seem to matter what kind of timber used, although oregon seems to get worse over time than other timbers.

My question is whether I should bolt the beams to the posts and keep as much of the post structure unexposed as I can, or whether I should continue to check in the beams? Also, other than prepainting before assembly, then adding a top coat, are there any other techniques for protecting the top of posts -- especially in structure without a roof?

Note that my next project is a chunky, formal garden arbour (without a roof). As usual, appreciate all useful comments.

Cheers,
Adam

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...