Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Ratio of views to replies

One thing that I have noticed with this forum is the large amount of views a post receives but very very low replies.

Is it that woodworkers don't like to share their knowledge?
    There is a 4WD forum that I frequent and the help that you receive there is amazing compared to this forum.

Oh well
    3Landerblue

If you don't believe, me then click on any forum on this website and look at the huge amount of views a post has received compared to a reply.:confused:
    3Landerblue

I believe you, though I think if someone has any comment to make on a particular thread then they generally make it, I hope. Not much point getting 20 replies if none of them are going to help with a specific problem. Although posting a question and getting zero replies can be a bit annoying(?), at least you've asked and you can now implement plan "B".

Dan

Talking

I have found that on this BB with a couple of exceptions unless they can help they keep out of it rather than waste ur time reading useless answers
    Unlike some of the forums I visit:confused:confused:
    What this country needs are more unemployed politicians.
    Edward Langley, Artist (1928-1995)

What is counted as a view?

If a visitor looks at a thread, is that counted as a view?

- Wood Borer

That would be my understanding.
    I also think that there a lot of lurkers on this board. If you look at the number of visitors compared to users logged on, it's usually much higher.

But I agree that unless you can make a useful contribution to a thread it's better not to post.

Craig

If I have some idea I often still wait for an expert to answer rather than risk giving bad advice, there are a number of experts on this BB in various fields.
    If after a while no one has given expert advise I will chip in with small ideas and big warnings

It is different when looking for a point of view rather than an answer.
    Answers belong to the most expert, opinions, on the other hand, are like arses, everyone has one.
    Great minds discuss ideas,
    average minds discuss events,
    small minds discuss people

Wink

Doorstop, what a load of dingo droppings! I happen to know that you are a member of your local fore wheel drive club and I also know that you are not exactly backward in coming forward when it comes to blathering a bit of the blarney and not only that but you are full of IT .
    Cute, cuddly, chainsaw wielding killer teddy bear!

Hey Doorstop,
    I'm a traditionalist that's why I drive the worlds best 4wd a Land Rover Defender.

cheers 3LB
    3Landerblue

As I am reading this there are 9 replies and 170 views.

Normally I would not have replied and become another anonymous view as four others have already said what I would have said.

However to please you I passed on my two cents worth.

Regards,

Peter

I don't care if it is an answer, a view, an opinion or just someones 2 cents worth. It is all interesting and either helpful or humorous.

You choose

Macca

I have often wondered just what a "view" is anyway?

Regards
    Dod

I think that a lot of people view a thread, have nothing to offer, or nothing that someone else has not offered already. Then in a day or two, the thread is at the top of the page due to a response from someone. Now if I look at it again to see what transpired, it counts me as another view. It doesn't only take 'new comers' to the thread as 'Views'.

Lets look at figures. A posts and B replies.........that would be at least two posts. A replies and B just reads it but doesn't offer a reply. That is 1 view. Now the thread goes on, every day one person posts a reply, yet all the ones that have already posted a reply, check on the thread daily without posting a new reply. Each of these are a View..........it just multiplies daily. A lot of guys may not offer a reply at all but follow the thread daily...I know I do that often........I may not have anything constructive to offer.....but I am interested in the replies because through them I acquire knowledge/info and that is really the purpose of a b/b like this.

BUT

Have fun................keep turning

Just to get the rateing up......
    Ha.......ha

I've gotta get in on this one, just to swell the numbers (I get funny images there...)

I 'read' this BB daily, using the 'new posts' facility - very handy - so I guess I 'view' or lurk a lot. Every now and then I get an urge (siddown woman) and bung in a reply when I think I can add something useful or maybe funny to the conversation - that process used to be called 'social intercourse', but I think that has another meaning now!

BTW, I often drive my wife's Subaru Liberty wagon - now that's a real 4WD!

Johhno2
    Growing old disgracefully...