Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default which bearings for bench grinder?

I've got an old GMF "Junior" 1/2HP 6" bench grinder I restored a few years ago. I'd like to replace the bearings with sealed units and dispense with the complicated felt washers, flanges and springs that protect the original open bearings.

The original bearings are in good nick, but one side has a spring & felt washer missing, so the metal flange is loose rattles like crazy. I can't be bothered trying to source a replacement spring & felt washer, because if I don't get it right I'll have to pull it apart again and it's a fiddly job to reassemble the grinder. I want to do it properly and never pull the thing apart ever again.

The bearings are marked LJ3/4 and are 3/4 ID, 1 7/8 OD, 9/16 wide.

Q1. Should I use metal shielded bearings or the rubber sealed type?

Q2. Does anyone know a good online bearing seller who doesn't charge a fortune for postage?

Cheers

Don't bother with online sellers for a couple of bearings - just go to the local bearing service (Google maps will tell you where they are near you). These bearings should only cost a few bucks - maybe $12 to 15 for good quality American or Japanese - $4-6 for Chinese.
    I would get sealed bearing rather than shielded sine grinding dust seems to get in to any gap no matter how small.
    Cheers,
    Joe

Thanks Joe. There's a bearing place near me. I'll get them there. I might as well get them to press the old bearings off and the new ones on too.