Question How to use tongue & groove for 1/2 wall feature

Hi all can anybody tell me the best way to install tongue and groove to use as a feature for my hallway. I have seen this on many shows they use it half way up the wall and would like to add this feature to break up a very long cold feeling hallway.
    YOU ARE WHAT YOU MAKE OF YOURSELF
    BE PROUD AND
    LIVE LIFE TO THE MAX
    PEPSIMAX7UP

Quote Originally Posted by pepsimax7up View Post
    Hi all can anybody tell me the best way to install tongue and groove to use as a feature for my hallway. I have seen this on many shows they use it half way up the wall and would like to add this feature to break up a very long cold feeling hallway.
    You have a number of options.
    1. Take out the bottom section of plaster board, add noggins and nail in your shiplap, regency or v joint timber. Add cover strip/chair rail over top joint between plasterboard and timber
    2. Add battens and then nail/glue your shiplap, regency or v joint panelling. Add rebated cover strip/chair rail over top of timber joint between plasterboard and timber. The disadvantage of this method is that the panelling stands proud of the wall by the combined thickness of the panelling and the battens.
    3. Buy the prefinished MDF panelling sheets and glue to wall add chair rail and paint.
    cheers

Kev M

Quote Originally Posted by KevM View Post
    You have a number of options.
    1. Take out the bottom section of plaster board, add noggins and nail in your shiplap, regency or v joint timber. Add cover strip/chair rail over top joint between plasterboard and timber
    2. Add battens and then nail/glue your shiplap, regency or v joint panelling. Add rebated cover strip/chair rail over top of timber joint between plasterboard and timber. The disadvantage of this method is that the panelling stands proud of the wall by the combined thickness of the panelling and the battens.
    3. Buy the prefinished MDF panelling sheets and glue to wall add chair rail and paint.
    cheers

Kev M
    Thanx KEV. I have had advice that I could use ligud nails on the timber and only nail into the studs. Which I didnt like the sound of.

How thick should the batton be if I still want to keep the gyprock on the wall?

I have tried to look for the mdf panelling but not easy. My local bunnings store informs me that they have deleted it.
    BE PROUD AND
    LIVE LIFE TO THE MAX
    PEPSIMAX7UP

Quote Originally Posted by pepsimax7up View Post

How thick should the batton be if I still want to keep the gyprock on the wall?
    I'll leave that one to the experts as I have not used that method myself.

Kev M

Thanx for your help Kev
    BE PROUD AND
    LIVE LIFE TO THE MAX
    PEPSIMAX7UP

I appreciate the suggestions by Kev M for what they are - but please, don't go the way of #3 - you will be disappointed.

In the process of doing this myself, using a combination of glue / nails, for a decent job use battens but I have seen some others that just glued the boards to the plaster walls. Saves on thickness but it is a bugger to get off in the future.

The top rail on half height boards is routed to fit over the boards, we are also putting in picture rails and skirting. Currently alot of lengths of things sitting on saw horses waiting cutting.

Hope your project goes well.

Avoid the MDF if you can.

Cheers from WA

Nigel

Thank you Masoth and Nevyn for your suggestions. It looks as though I will be using the tongue and groove for the better finish and job. I am not worried about getting the panels back off as this is it and it will not be changed or until my wife says so.
    BE PROUD AND
    LIVE LIFE TO THE MAX
    PEPSIMAX7UP