Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deck Pictures

Default Deck Pictures

Hi all,
    Well after spending the last few weekends pre drilling and nailing, I thought I would post an update of my progress.
    Thanks to everyone who helped me with the much needed advice on this.
    I should finish nailing etc this weekend and then on to finishing - which brings me to my next question.... I have read heaps here about staining and oiling- but nothing specific to me.
    I live in a fairly warm climate and have had heaps of different advice on ways to finish. I like the idea of tinted oil for the top but have had a lot of different advice about sanding, washing, oiling and staining.
    What do I do to get a nice dark red colour come out in the wood? I've spent quite a bit of money so far and the budget is not looking good - but dont want to finish on the cheap either.
    Cheers in advance

Looking great simon ,

Kinda hard to tell from the pics but what have you used as stumps?
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.

Well, thats the one thing I would probably change if I had my time again. I used 90x90angel welded to 90x90 Gal posts and drilled holes through the angel to bolt the bearers on. It took me a bit longer and a bit more work to do it - wasnt that keen in timber in the ground.

Ahhh ok, that does sound like a lot of work Im sure its as sturdy as hell though and will never come down.... wernt keen on just using plain ol Gal Post Stirrups?
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.

No not really, the bloke at the timber shop talked me out of it. I saw a post here where a guy used these. It worked out that using Bluescopes decking posts (Uni pier i think its called) would be heaps cheaper - and they are adjustable posts - WHICH WOULD HAVE BEEN A LOT EASIER THAN THE EL CHEAPO DUMPY I USED.
    Oh well - only as good as your tools I suppose. Do you know anything about applying decking oil to merbau decking?

Nice work, whos the hot lady in the second picture?

Default Bear

Any ideas where I can get info on the uni piers as I am about to start a decking and verandah project myself

Regards

Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Bear
    Any ideas where I can get info on the uni piers
    Try this:
    http://www.bluescopesteel.com.au/go/...saght-uni-pier

Quote Originally Posted by SIMONLEWIS
    No not really, the bloke at the timber shop talked me out of it. I saw a post here where a guy used these. It worked out that using Bluescopes decking posts (Uni pier i think its called) would be heaps cheaper - and they are adjustable posts - WHICH WOULD HAVE BEEN A LOT EASIER THAN THE EL CHEAPO DUMPY I USED.
    Oh well - only as good as your tools I suppose. Do you know anything about applying decking oil to merbau decking?

Out of pure curiosity what did he say to talk you out of it?

Sorry dont know massive amounts about decking oils.
    My place had an exisiting small deck which I extended on (tripled in size), it also incorporated a concrete landing. To tie it all in I used treated pine decking and painted the lot with decking paint.... now looks as one.
    Will soon be undertaking a boardwalk path leading to the deck large deck which will again be decking paint so.... havnt really used the oils before.

Joel

He actually laughed at me when I said I was going to use them. He told me that with that much out of the ground it wouldn't be sturdy - so I asked him why would they make them in that length (he didnt really have a good answer for me) to be honest I was lucky I learnt so much on this forum becuase all of the local timber yards here in Mildura were pretty much useless. And that was even with waiving $5000 in front of their noses.:confused:

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun04
    Nice work, whos the hot lady in the second picture?
    Thats my chief nailer.... She nailed half of the deck - and yes she is hot

Quote Originally Posted by SIMONLEWIS
    Thats my chief nailer.... She nailed half of the deck - and yes she is hot
    Haha she looks good, i might have to come out west and find me self a hot woman, and ill be the chief nailer if you know what i mean

Default Deck Oil/stain

Hi I just finished my decking,and used Cabot's Jarrah Decking stain on Kapur and cabot's Deck Oil Jarrah on treated pind Balustrade the top is a bright orange Red see pics http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...ad.php?t=54913

Mate you've spent good money on quality decking timber there and I'd hate to see you paint over it! A few coats of natural decking oil will bring out the rich red colour of your merbau deck and allow the natural grain of the timber to shine. I wouldn't do it any other way and considering its covered you'll find it won't need redoing any more than once a year. It would fair dinkum take you 20 minutes to put one coat on with an applicator. There are heaps of brands that make quality oils...Cabots, Wattyl, FeastWatson etc. You can't go wrong. No sanding required just wipe on. You'll find heaps of info on this forum discussing the timber weathering process and applying you're chosen finish.

make sure that you wash the tannens out of the deck before you coat, doesn't hurt to give it a sand to remove any crap left behind.
    I finish decks with 100g on both the belt sander and then a polyvac orbital, to close the grain off nice.
    I like to use 'Sikkens Deck', at two coats now and then when needed.
    Shawn.
    woodnfloors.com.au