Question jarra dining table finish

Hi all,
    After going through pages of posts I thought that Id just add mine to see if any one had any diferent ideas or have children like mine. ( devistate any piece of furniture in site).

I've just started my dining table. Im still preping timber. All the timber is from my mates roof, (the house is about 20 years old) he did an extention and I scored bid. I'm after a finish that will look natural (i know ), brings out the deep red colour but will with stand the absolute pounding that my 2 boys will give it. I've looked at waxing but it seems to darken the wood a lot and I've tried a marine varnish but it scratches to easily.

Any ideas??

Quote Originally Posted by Madden View Post
    Hi all,
    After going through pages of posts I thought that Id just add mine to see if any one had any diferent ideas or have children like mine. ( devistate any piece of furniture in site).

I've just started my dining table. Im still preping timber. All the timber is from my mates roof, (the house is about 20 years old) he did an extention and I scored bid. I'm after a finish that will look natural (i know ), brings out the deep red colour but will with stand the absolute pounding that my 2 boys will give it. I've looked at waxing but it seems to darken the wood a lot and I've tried a marine varnish but it scratches to easily.

Any ideas??
    It will be easier to train the kids than find any finish that will stand up to kid punishment.

My philosophy with stuff like this is to make it water/food proof as possible - wear the scratches with the (in my case BIG kid) - and when the blighters leave home, sand it back and put on a natural finish.

To that effect I used a two pack poly on a big (U shaped 2.3 x 3.3 x 1.8 m long, x 850 mm wide) jarrah slab computer desk I made about 6 years ago. After I let it harden for about 2 weeks I then cut then cut it back using finer and finer wet and wet and dry and then applied multiple (~10) coats of silicone car wax. To stop the silicone contaminating my shed I applied it well away from the shed as that stuff gets everywhere. I am quite pleased how well it has stood up to all manner of computer stuff being dragged across it although I would still not call it little kid proof. Meanwhile my big kid (and his mates) have left home (YAY!) and I don't feel it is damaged enough to warrant resurfacing at this time.

My jarrah slabs were already very chocolate brown to start with but the epoxy stopped the wax from darkening it further.

Don't forget that depending on how much light it is exposed to all jarrah usually lightens and browns with age so if you do use wax it may cancel out over time.

Unfortunately nothing I know of will keep the original deep red unless you keep it in a dark room preferably without any oxygen!

When I mill some types of jarrah I sometimes see an amazing purple scarlet colour like this.

Within a couple a months its gone to an orangy/brown and cannot be resurrected no matter what I have tried.
    More pics of that freaky coloured jarrah log here.

Thanks for the reply Bob

Yes it would be easier to train the kids but Im in the navy and Im not home all the time. Food and water proof is a must, scratches I can bear but Id like to be able to remove them from time to time. My biggest problem is lack of space when I start playing the car is put out side and doesnt go back in untill the job is done.

Rick

Rustins plastic coating

You could always put a sheet of glass on it.

For tables I've done in the past I've used Wayttl 7008 two pack floor polish.

How about oil. I would do Organoil Hard Burnishing oil. Also nothing will stop the wood from darkening its oxidising, pine goes yellow this will deepen.

Minwax Wipe on Poly holds up pretty well.

I'd also suggest not being too precious with it. As the kids and the table age, they will both obtain character.

Tex

Quote Originally Posted by rrobor View Post
    How about oil. I would do Organoil Hard Burnishing oil. Also nothing will stop the wood from darkening its oxidising, pine goes yellow this will deepen.
    Organ oil is good stuff but it will definitely darken, especially jarrah.
    UV will lighten wood.

If you want to see an oil finish I just posted a picture of my table under Red Box Its done in china wood oil and it withstands daily use as a kitchen table not a show piece. It takes coffee mugs the lot and its wiped over to clean. If you look real close you will see fur, the bloody cats been up on it again.

I used the Wattyl 7008 2 pack on mine.

It has stood the punishment of my 2 year old banging on it. You do have to reside to the fact that in a few years you will need to sand it back and re-apply a finish.

My theory is use it and enjoy it! It will get fine scratches from everyday use, it will get the odd fork dent but ultimately, it is only as tough as the timber you use under it. The joy of seeing a solid piece of furniture you have made being used and enjoyed is what it is all about.

As far as colour... mine has changed colour a few times now. It darkened when I applied the finish, the side that gets the most sun has now gone browner and lighter, the side that gets least sun has a deepened brown and the she-oak inlays which started off as a light honey colour are now almost as dark as the jarrah. It adds to the character.