Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Roof Restoration

I am looking to have my cement tiled roof restored. It is about 30 years old.
    Can someone please let me know what to expect and look out for?
    I have had one small business already quote me $2900. That included the replacement of some water damaged batons, replace all broken and chipped tiles, re-pointing, cleaned, sealed and painted with NUTECH branded product (1 coat sealer, 2 coats paint.
    Any feedback and suggestions are welcome.

We want to get it done within the next 1-3 months. I want to stear clear of the big players such as Roof Seal and Modern. Some of the homes in our street have been done in the past 2 years and some look ordinary already and hence I am apprehensive about who I employ to do the work.

How much roof area do you have and is it a complicated or simple shape?

Fairly straighforward roof.
    Only 2 valleys.
    Valleys and gutters in great nick.
    Some slight sag in part of the roof that needs some attention.
    4 bedroom home, 2 living rooms.

Most roofs that I have seen "restored" look very ordinary very shortly after the cheque has cleared.

I saw one from a scaffold I was working on, must have been no further away that 3M, I could see that they had painted over the moss and it was still growing quiet happily.

I wouldnt bother unless you need a spruce up for the sale of the house.

Al

No moss on my roof...
    I have been quoted $2900 by a small business operator using Nutech product. Sealer, 2 coats of paint. Another larger company quoted $4800.
    Includes fixing the sag in the roof, clean, re-point, replace all broken tiles and 10 year warranty.
    The sealer is one that soaks into the tiles and fills up any imperfections remaining in the tiles.
    They were both very helpful and friendly.

Have you gotten a quote to get a new roof? I remember looking into restoration on my last place and it was about 2/3 the price of all new, which included gutters. It was tin and a very simple shape, so probably not comparible to yours ... but you might be wasting your money on the restoration?

if you plan to keep the house I would go with new tiles, get a modern look.
    The sag in the roof structure is a problem I would be concerned about
    Is it a truss or a pitched roof.? White ants?, leaking tiles caused rot?

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    10 year warranty.
    Spider,

Some warranties aren't worth the paper that they are written. I had a problem with a re-stumper the once and I asked him to come and look at a problem that had arisen within 4 months of him completing the job. Yet after 5 calls and 5 promises to come out he never bothered - so much for his 15 year warranty. I could have taken him to Vicat but it would be at least 6 months before your case would be heard.

MH

The re-pointing should include removing of all capping, cleaning and rewiring of end cap tiles as per Building Code of Australia. They should use one of the flexible pointing compounds as they allow movement and o not crack like the old mortar does.

Concrete tiles do not leak even when there is no paint finish on them so long as they were laid correctly, and are not cracked, so the colour an paint finish is aesthetic only - just makes it look newer for a while. The original finishes last at least 20 years, paints will last barely 10 if applied correctly. Warranty here is meaningless, few of the companies doing this stuff have been in business 10 years let alone with the same owners, so who are you going to claim form. In any case most a pro rata so as years go by the value reduces even if you could get the roof re-done.

You should look at and get quotes for a new roof - either new tiles or colourbond. If the roof design is straightforward (as it seems to be) then you might be surprised at how competitive the quote will be. Mostly this is a relatively simple job - as existing battens can be used (or often they remain in place and new softwood battens are put in place around them.

The dip in the roof needs looking at, but is most likely simple sagging from heavy concrete roof tiles being placed onto green hardwood framing or trusses. Tiles on a normal sized roof can be 30-40 tonnes and although the roof design accounts for this, the green timbers used 30 years ago (now they tend to be kiln dried) used to sag a little (50mm or more - if there are differential movements of adjacent timber structures then there can be quite visible ripples). These are too just an appearance issue - mostly not structurally unsound - but you do need to make sure that there is no structural fault. Concrete tiles lose weight as they dry out and cure and while they too are 'green' can bend and conform to the underlying battens - so if there has been sagging the tiles have often bent to fit.

Summary is - these spray or paint-on finishes are for looks only so unless you really want to have a painted roof that will then need re-painting in under ten years just get the roof tiles re-pointed, broken ones replaced and maybe new guttering. If you do want a refreshed looking roof then see what the cost is for a new tin roof or replacement tiles and guttering.

Thanks for the feedback Bloss. Very comprehensive and gives us something to think about.
    Our guttering is relatively new (about 2 years old), and the sag in part of the roof is structurally sound, but we want to "iron" it out.
    Personaly I like colorbond, but the wide doesn't...go figure!
    I had a guy quote me $1400 to paint the roof, he was dodgy as...a couple of quotes ta $2900 and $2700 seemed to be on the money. Has a quote for $4800 form "Right Round the House". Very helpful, but very expensive.

Hi spider. hopefuly Im not too late with an answer to your questions... $2900 is an avarage price you expect to pay for a restoration. but for that price you should get a full pressure clean of all roof area, removal of all existing morta from reidge caps,valleys and gables. full rebed of all the above with a good cement mix. repoint using flexible pointing for lasting indurance. change all brocken tiles and finally a good 3 coat system using uv protected roofing paint with the likes of nu-roof paints from thomastown. if the job is carried out in this manner, the restoration will last you for over 20 years and 15 years with gloss. If you are still intrested in doing your roof go to my newly built website at ETERNALROOFSAUSTRALIA.COM.AU for more info . there are some bad roof restorers out there but Im not one of them...... hopefuly this will help you with your decision regarding your roof and investment. hope to hear from you. THE ANGEL.......

Hey spider.
    My uncles been in melbourne restoring roofs for prolly 20 years (as i have in qld). He is very (very) fussy and i can highly recommend him, his name is Darryl and his number is 0418310345, he was up here the other day and maybe a little hard to reach at the moment but keep trying, either way good luck, Wayne.