Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Materials for retaining wall?

Hi guys,

I am living in Melbourne. I want to build a retaining wall. I am not sure what this material is called. I am looking for this iron (metal) pole that has a "H" shape that stick into the ground and to hold the timber retaining wall. Anyone know where I can find this?

Thank you.

Cheers,
    Wes

At your local railway station?? :eek:

P

Its called different things by different people, but if you go to your nearest Steel manufacturer and ask for lengths of 'I' section you shouldn't go to far wrong. Remember to get enough to go at least 400 into the ground. They'll cut it to length for you (around $30 per metre I think) - its a bugger to cut with an angle grinder I can tell you.

You may also need, wait for it......... 'C' section which goes at the end of the retaining walls.
    There was a young boy called Wyatt
    Who was awfully quiet
    And then one day
    He faded away
    Because he overused White

Floorsanding in Canberra and Albury.....

I pulled down my old sleeper wall. No matter how good the timber, it eventually needs to be replaced at some point in the future. I replaced it with the link wall system :

http://www.australbricks.com.au/vic/product.php?ID=27

The blocks are easy to install, once you have the base level. It saves digging post holes which were almost impossible here with the amount of rock in the ground. This systems isn't the cheapest option but I didn't have much choice and it will be there forever.
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

Make sure it is hot dipped galvanised steel "I" beam" or "C" section. How deep it must go depends on soil type and wall height. 400mm deep sounds fine for a 400mm high wall in normal/heavy soil. In essence the deeper you go the better the wall (within reason). It's not uncommon to go almost 1:1 including a pad footing for walls up to 1m.

Sleepers done with steel offer the added benefit that if the timber rots, all you need is a couple of high lift jacks and a chainsaw to fix it. Lift the above sleepers with high lift jacks, cut out the rotten/failed sleeper, drop down the jacks, insert new sleeper on top of the wall (it's almost that easy if you build the wall properly to start - ie. using steel soldiers).

I pulled down my old sleeper wall. No matter how good the timber, it eventually needs to be replaced at some point in the future.
    I did exacly the same thing.

By the time wood needs replacing (and it will need replacing) I don't know what sort of physical shape I'm going to be in, and whether I'll be financially well off enough to pay for it to be done.
    There's no such thing as too many Routers

Question

Hi guys,

I have looked around, searched the internet, called up a few metal manufacturer etc. and can't find one metal manufacturer sell "I" section. Maybe because I am not in the industrial and looking at the wrong the place. Can anyone please advise on where I can find "I" section for retaining wall or where to look for? I don't mind travel anywhere in Victoria to pick it up, at this stage I am quite desperate to get a hand on it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much!

Cheers,
    Wes

Call Sims Steel or look here:

http://www.steelweb.info/310UC158.htm

also look under Universal Beam, not just Universal Column.

Cheers
    Squizzy

"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all" {screamed by maths teacher in Year 8}

As per the previous post, it's called UB (universal beam), it comes in sizes from about 150mm right through to about 400+. universal column(UC) is more square in shape, but is more or less the same thing. In Victoria you can try Surdex Steel and I know for a fact Central Steel in Campbellfield has it in gal. It is very common and any steel merchant will have it or be able to get it in. For what you want in a retaining wall, try 100UC14.8 or 150UB14. The number at the end relates to weight in kg per metre.

Wes,

How high is this wall going to be?
    Ian

Max height would be 500 mm. Someone told me that any higher, I would require engineer to design/approve it. I didn't have the budget to pay for engineer so I stick with 500 mm.

I strongly agree with previous posters. Timber is only fit for "tempoary" retaining walls. I my travels arround town I pass at least half a dozen serious cases of biodegrading timber retaining walls.
    Metal rusts, timber rots, it doesn't matter how big it is, and it happens much much faster than you think.
    Masonry is for ever, ask an archiologist. Egiptians, Romans, Inkas
    cheers

1 metre reconstitued limestone blocks should be about $40.00 a block laid or even cheaper depending on how much backing and earthworks need to be done. Its a 100 hundred year structural wall done properly.

For Most councils a Retaining wall only requires engineers certification over 1 metre although councils may require a site plan to be submitted on walls over 600 mm and depending on the location. A company installing these walls will have engineer approved structural detail drawings.

1000 x 350 x350 blocks are currently around $17.50 each retail and require a Bobcat or excavator to lay them. You can buy smaller blocks which can be laid by hand.

Why not look at the fake post and panel system exactly like what you are planning but in concrete or reconstitued stone. Once the "Universal Beam" posts are in its a matter of sliding in the panels. Again, easy to instal once you have the posts set. A better long term solution but don't be put off if timber is the way you want and you have a pile of cheap sleepers....whatever turns your crank

Cheers
    Squizzy

"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all" {screamed by maths teacher in Year 8}

Quote Originally Posted by Wes2008
    Max height would be 500 mm. Someone told me that any higher, I would require engineer to design/approve it. I didn't have the budget to pay for engineer so I stick with 500 mm.
    Just ring the local council regarding height restrictions to check - that way you will know for certain and it's the sort of knowledge that makes you top sausage at a BBQ.

The height here is 800mm, which is 4 standard blocks.

Cheers
    There was a young boy called Wyatt
    Who was awfully quiet
    And then one day
    He faded away
    Because he overused White

Floorsanding in Canberra and Albury.....

Wes,

Here in Vic any retaining wall over 1m high requires a building permit, and therefore engineering computations. At 500mm high you are in the clear to do your own thing, and a failure of the wall at some future date is not going to be a major catastrophe.

Eastie has given some good advice on the rule of thumb for 1:1 for depth of footings.

Materials are as varied as the number of hot dinners you've had. Look around and see what takes your fancy and suits your pocket. Your personal style of garden may give some clues. Visit your local library and have a look at what they have on gardens and landscaping.
    Ian