Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: floating floors

Default floating floors

hi all

need help or at least some sort of directions and advise,

recently i was asked to install a floating floor for a customer for which i have done on several occasions .
    firstly let me add i advised the client not to install the floor as i have found to many problems with the mdf 6mm laminated flooring . however the salesman indicated that he would guaranty the floor for 20 years//yer as if ..
    anyhow to the question ,, after 2 months of trouble free the floor has started to appear to cup as if it is laid to tight and is wondering all over the place .

facts are that it is laid to the required 6mm clearance laid on participial board sheeting with plastic backed foam underlay approx 6mm , all recommended buy the sale's man.
    i have asked for assistance through the supplier to try and seek out the problem or should i say cause as to try and rectify the problem for the client but all i get back is it is to tight // problem after double checking it still has adequate clearance so his professional help has been disregarded.
    it is however receiving direct full sunlight on the problem area but i don't believe it is getting wet etc

anyhow any assistance with this matter would be gratefully accepted as the clients are getting no satification from the suppliers of the product.
    regards harry

Mate this is common with the cheaper floating floors, many professionals don't touch them or if they do they specify to the salesman that there's no warranty on installation.

Your only avenue is to pressure the Retailer as after all they are actually liable for the products they sell. Make sure all corrospondence is in writing and give the retailer every reasonble opportunity to rectify the problem. If they don't help then your customer (or whoever the invoice for the products made out to) will have to start down the road of litigation.

Your problem sounds like the top veneer/laminate is contracting at a different rate to that of the core and thus producing a "cupping affect", to prove this leave a board out in the sun by itslef and I garruantee it'll start cupping in a short while. If it is a problem with expansion than your floor will be lifting as well as cupping on the ends. If it's a moisture problem then your joints will firstly swell and then start to open up. I doubt very much that it's a moisture problem as it sounds like you've used the correct underlay and you would have noticed the partical board showing signs of being affected by moisture. Check under the house for adequate cross flow ventilation and you would notice a "musty" smell under their if there's too much moisture hanging around.(plus your floors only been down 2 months so if is is moisture you've got heaps of it!)

In NSW ther's a TAFE in Lidcombe that runs trade course for these installations (Floor finishing and resilient floorcovering section), they're good blokes who are usually happy to help.

Good luck mate

thankyou i asumed the above but not being within the trade it is difficult to comment however i feel assured that you are spot on but is there anything i could do to rectifie the problem or would you feel it should be replaced.
    thanks again harry

The boards will need to be replaced as they've probably damaged themselves too much already.

Sounds like the product just aint suitable for the area, try to rplace the affected area first and if the problem returns then look to replacing with a better product. Try and stick with the common big name brands as they have much better manufacturer backing.

kind regards and thankyou for your assistance
    harry