Thread: carnubra wax

Default carnubra wax

hi guys,
    sorry to be hogging but i've just discovered the joy of forums,
    this is a simple question.
    I bought some canubra wax flakes from a Very reputable source but what the hell do you mix them with, they've been sitting in pure gum turps for about 4 moths and laughing at me.

astrid

Have you tried using a double boiler?

You need heat (carnubra wax melting point is 184 ºF) - make sure you decant the turps - be fire safe

See this link

Carnauba wax melts at around 89C. Use it as a hardener for mixing with other waxes like beeswax, or paraffin or mix em all together. Not much good in is own too hard and brittle for most applications. Must be heated. We use immersion heaters or direct gas flame. add mineral turpentine to the mix and cool under agitation. There are recipes in "A Polishers Handbook"

We mix it with ozocerite and other waxes as a base for all our waxes and friction polishes but unfortunately (for us) the importer of the ozocerite has let us down and the 1/2 tonne that was supposed to be here 9 weeks ago has only left Germany last week. We haven't been able to make anything for 3 weeks and looks like being the same for the next 2 weeks. !2 days and $1650 to fly in 40kg from Germany so we can at least have some product to take to Melb WWWShow in 3 weeks. $60,000 US order on hold till we can get some, Should have left there 3 weeks ago. I'm sick of suppliers who can't or won't supply small business. This is only one of 4 we have problems with.

Sorry about that - Maybe I should go to bed.

Cheers - Neil
    KEEP A LID ON THE GARBAGE... Report spam, scams, and inappropriate posts, PMs and Blogs.
    Use the Report icon at the bottom of all Posts, PM's and Blog entries.

Quote Originally Posted by ubeaut View Post
    Carnauba wax melts at around 89C. Use it as a hardener for mixing with other waxes like beeswax, or paraffin or mix em all together. Not much good in is own too hard and brittle for most applications. Must be heated. We use immersion heaters or direct gas flame. add mineral turpentine to the mix and cool under agitation. There are recipes in "A Polishers Handbook"

We mix it with ozocerite and other waxes as a base for all our waxes and friction polishes but unfortunately (for us) the importer of the ozocerite has let us down and the 1/2 tonne that was supposed to be here 9 weeks ago has only left Germany last week. We haven't been able to make anything for 3 weeks and looks like being the same for the next 2 weeks. !2 days and $1650 to fly in 40kg from Germany so we can at least have some product to take to Melb WWWShow in 3 weeks. $60,000 US order on hold till we can get some, Should have left there 3 weeks ago. I'm sick of suppliers who can't or won't supply small business. This is only one of 4 we have problems with.

Sorry about that - Maybe I should go to bed.

Cheers - Neil
    Hi Neil,

only 4 problems in the business at any one time, anywhere less than that many and I wonder whats gone wrong! I know what you mean, getting on the radar of some of these mobs is difficult but your reputation is very strong, I hope your customers are patient,

Sebastiaan
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

My blog. http://theupanddownblog.blogspot.com

Default heating canaubra

Thanks guys,
    Ive got an electric hot wax pot (as used in beauty salons) whith a thermostat and lid that I use to heat linseed with.
    only problem is, last time i used it, I left some linseed in it and its dried up in the lid threads and i cant get it off!!
    If I plug it in will the linseed soften enough to let me get the lid off or will it dry harder or even explode
    these are pretty expensive and i dont want to have to buy another

astrid

Try pouring boiling water over it or using a paint stripper gun around the lid to see if it will soften but dried linseed usually requires a really good bashing and a fair amount of brute force.

Default sticky linseed

Thanks
    Ill try the heatgun