Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Question Paint Question!..

G'Day All,
    I have been painting my house interior and I have just about finished (Yay!) in the last room (downstairs bedroom) I have had to strip the paint of the ceiling as it was starting to crack and peel. OK, no problem, scrape off the flakes and plaster to bring level, sand and paint, right!...wrong, the paint just peeled like wallpaper with very little effort.

All of the walls are painted with the same paint (pink) Eww!..they are fine as far as the paint staying where it is supposed too. There was the hall and toilet all in close proxcimity to each other. The only thing that I can think of is the paint is out of the one tin, and for some reason was a bad batch, the rest of the house was done in the same paint (brand) at the same time, KMart brand.

Would my guess be close to the mark, I am just curious as to why this has only happened in this section of the house, the house was painted by the previous owner about 5-6yrs ago.
    savage(Eric)

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

I had the same problem when I painted my lounge ceiling - no where else.
    I put it down to not having given it a sugar soap scrub before hand. I just left it and never notice it anymore.
    But that's my philosophy in life....51% means 1% wasted effort!

G'Day BT,
    I have had another thought on why the paint did not take, maybe when the house was originally built, these where the last sheets of Gyprok to go up. Is it possible they had a high moisture content being on the bottom of the stack, therefore, instead of the paint being absorbed into it, it sat on the surface. As the coats of paint built up over the years it failed, cracked and peeled.
    savage(Eric)

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

You might have given it an undercoat with wallboard sealer or primer first, if you plastered it. Otherwise treat it like a scab, if it ins't coming off, don't pick at it!

CHeers
    Michael

How old is the house? I am guessing the ceiling isn't plaster board, but is lathe and plaster or fibrous plaster.

Tools

You might have given it an undercoat with wallboard sealer or primer first, if you plastered it. Otherwise treat it like a scab, if it ins't coming off, don't pick at it!

CHeers
    Michael

G'Day Michael,
    When the paint fell off in sheets, about 10cm wide and as long as I could reach, at least 1mtr, I knew that 2 coats of sealer/undercoat would be needed. It all came off with very little effort, the room is small about 3 x 3mtrs and took 15mins to strip the ceiling, the only bit left was the join down the centre where the paint seemed to stick well so I left it.

<!-- / message -->How old is the house? I am guessing the ceiling isn't plaster board, but is lathe and plaster or fibrous plaster.

Tools

G'Day Tools,
    Nah!..my last house was of the fiberous plaster, this is definitely Gyprok, has it stamped all over it CSR I think or might have been Boral, can't remember now and it has 2 coats of sealer/undercoat on it now. The house is only 16yrs young and the upper floor is 6-7yrs, so speaking of houses it is fairly young.
    <!-- / message -->
    savage(Eric)