Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Junk mail and the local newspaper

I've just been on to the the local newspaper distribution manager to complain about the advertising brochures inserted into the newspaper. This is obviously done to get around the "No Junk Mail" signs on letterboxes. I complained several months ago and the practice ceased, however, today this weeks paper is full of brochures. Do other forumites have brochures in their local paper and how you feel about it?
    To grow old is inevitable.... To grow up is optional

Confidence, the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.

What could possibly go wrong.

I get them and put them straight into recycling. But I don't mind them, because most of the people who distribute them probably wouldn't get a proper job, so I won't begrudge them that.
    cheers
    TM

Same here - straight into the bin. Never really took enough notice to care.

Recycle bin is right next to the letter box.

Jeez john you're living up to the grumpy bit I dread to see what you will be like at 65-70
    I just recycle it all so never bother worrying about it.
    Pete
    What this country needs are more unemployed politicians.
    Edward Langley, Artist (1928-1995)

Damn right I'm grumpy, Ive got a bloody "NO JUNK MAIL" sign on my letterbox and I still get junk mail. So far there have been 4 replies to this post and everyone states that they bin their junk mail without reading it, what a waste of paper and energy (to produce the brochures). I'm not a tree hugger by any means but this waste of resources pisses me off no end.

Maybe the same person that delivers the local paper has a job delivering phamplets as well. So they jam the junk mail in the paper to make it easier to deliver both.....

Yes GJ! We get two local papers, usually 3-4 day after publication, therefore any junk inserts are usually out of date and are then recycled.
    One publication is wrapped in plastic that tight it becomes impossible to read when unwrapped.
    Russell (aka Mulgabill)
    "It is as it is"

Haven't got a mail box or a mail delivery.....12Km drive to get the mail..........nobody dares give me junk

I love junk mail, as I can read it or throw it out or leave it in the box for a month.

It's the stamped and addressed stuff I hate. Gotta get that stuff stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post

Haven't got a mail box or a mail delivery.....12Km drive to get the mail..........nobody dares give me junk
    Another plus for moving to Tooradin...................... no letterbox, all the mail gets picked up from the Post Office .

You seem to have a warped interpretation of the newspaper business. Apparently, you see yourself as the customer. You're not the customer; you're the product. The real customer is the advertiser. The publisher provides news content, comics, crossword puzzle, etc., to entice you to accept the ads. Without payment by advertisers, your newspaper would cost readers many times the cost of subscription or purchase.

I welcome the inserts to inform me of deals I wouldn't know about otherwise. The unwanted inserts are placed in buffer storage before recycling. I draw on the buffer storage to use them as protection of work surfaces when painting and cutting templates for some of my woodwork. Also place them on the lathe ways for similar protection.

I have too many other sources of irritation to be upset about this "problem."

Similar with regard to junk mail. But if I'm in a particularly foul mood, and there's a Business Reply insert, just pack the envelope with some of the content, and place in the mail. USPS levies an additional charge beyond postage itself, to the recipient, for handling. (YMMV). Don't get mad, get even.

Cheers,
    Joe
    Of course truth is stranger than fiction.
    Fiction has to make sense. - Mark Twain

We get them here in Perth too. I used them as dog toys for a while, throwing them around and shouting "PAPER!"
    Now my dog Django goes each morning to fetch my daily newspaper from the end of the drive. (Except on Sunday when its so damned big he refuses to carry it.)
    Pugwash.

Never criticise Australia Post. One day they might find out where you live.
    www.clivequinn.com

FenceFurniture is offline The prize lies beneath - hidden in full view

Err...that's not a Pug, it's a long haired German Shepard! The things that give this away are the size, intelligence, and a face that hasn't been put in a vise.

JM in the letter box is a great aggravation. However, in a newspaper at least it's almost flat and easily separated for recycling. Very occasionally I look through it, but rarely find anything of interest.

In response to Joe's argument that the paper would cost more: it's free & delivered weekly. If there was any kind of charge they wouldn't sell any. The advertising pays for the paper, and I see that the inclusion of all the junk as just additional profit making. It would have to be this way because if the practise was banned then the paper would fold (?).

What REALLY gives me the shights is the flash advertising on websites that moves, flickers and anything else to distract your attention away from what the site owner is SUPPOSED to want you to read (info on their product et al). What is wrong with these people? It's tantamount to someone doing a demonstration at a trade show and inviting some other dickhead to come and wave distracting flags around and talk over the top of them. It's not quite so aggravating when it's at the side because I can narrow the window, but when it's in the middle of the article....
    AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH

The other thing with just about all websites is the dreadful standard of proof reading. Even the multinationals. E.g. yesterday Panasonic sent me an email to trumpet their new website. On the site there's a lucky draw to win "1 or 50 cameras". I sent them an email to say that I'll take the 50. Super simple but very significant typo, except that it was in 20 point size.

Righto chaps, as you were.

Brett

Best way to deal with it is to put it in an envelope and send it back to the person/company that sent it.

DO NOT PUT A STAMP ON THE ENVELOPE.

The receiver has to pay and cops a surcharge as well. IF enough people do it, they might start to get the message.