Default To stain 1st or....

Hi there, just thought I would ask your opinion as to staining. I am in the process of making a bookcase, cube style, eventually it will be put together shelf by shelf.

In the past I have sanded and prepared the timber, glued and stained, and I usually find, no matter how good a job I did (or thought I did) once stained I would see glue marks, ie: the stain would not take as good in parts where my cleaning left a little to be desired.

With this bookcase, I am thinking of staining all the parts first and the glueing them together, hopefully cleaning the glue and then finishing off with lacquer.

Now, the timber is hoop pine, final finish yet to be determined.

Have any of you craftsmen, finished a job this way and if so, were you happy with it.

Also I would ask your advice in what type of glue would be good with hoop pine, I usually use a PVA, but feel that there are better and stronger glues. Your advice is appreciated.
    Girls often run through my mind, they dare not walk...

Staining each part first will add to the project time. You could consider masking the joint areas before you glue and that would prevent staining from the glue.As to the glue, depending on the size and weight carried I would use Titebond or a polyurethane.
    beejay1

http://community.webshots.com/user/eunos9

PVA is stronger than the timber so a stronger glue is wasting money.
    But Hide glue will accept a stain so using this should eliminate glue marks.

If gluing up with pva and any glue comes out of the joint lift it off immediately wih a knife and vigorously rub the contaminated area with a metho moistened rag. The sooner this is done the more likely you will avoid glue stain.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Yep, once your joints are cut stain then glue. Try not to get stain on the joint itself.

First try some of your stain on scrap then glue some more scrap to it, this will test if the glue is compatable with the stain.

It would pay to "raise the grain" with water(wipe with damp rag)let it dry sand with fine paper before you stain, use a wet rag to clean off the excess pva glue(the reason for raising grain 1st). Be carefull not to rub to hard or too much when cleaning up excess glue, it may remove some of the color.

If you do happen to remove color from the joint area wipe the whole panel down to get an even color, when restaining without doing this you'll end up with light spots where you cleaned it otherwise...

I have used Hoop to build some furniture and I used "Yellow" PVA glue, I am led to believe it is stronger than the usual white stuff, Weldbond professional glue, you can even get it at Bunnies these days.
    I ALWAYS have a moist rag hanging from my back pocket when using PVA glue and have not had any trouble with over run, best to use an artists brush and leave it in a jar of water between uses, that way you not only save on glue but do not get an over supply on the joint.

post a pic when finished.

Taffy
    Remember if ther were no Mondays there would be no weekends.
    (I'm retired now so to hell with mondays)