Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bugging politicians phones

I don't want to step over the "no politics" line on the forum, but I was disturbed by what I saw on the news regarding the bugging of politicians private phones as part of investigations into corruption in WA. I'm glad that the nest of rats was uncovered and all of that, and they deserve all they get, but I felt uneasiness at their private conversations being taped and broadcast. If just feels a little KGB.

What do others think?

Quote Originally Posted by Rossluck View Post
    I don't want to step over the "no politics" line on the forum, but I was disturbed by what I saw on the news regarding the bugging of politicians private phones as part of investigations into corruption in WA. I'm glad that the nest of rats was uncovered and all of that, and they deserve all they get, but I felt uneasiness at their private conversations being taped and broadcast. If just feels a little KGB.

What do others think?
    I agree to a point. However, these people put themselves forward as representatives of the rest of us to ensure we get a fair go and can enjoy the freedoms of a vibrant democracy. Corruption is not part of our way of life nor should it be part of politics. If the only way to bring these ratbags to heel is bugging their phones then maybe it is in our interests. I certainly don't think the act of telephone bugging is acceptable where ordinary citizens are concerned. I'm an ex-pollie and if people really knew the what goes on behind the doors of democracy they'd be shocked.
    If you never made a mistake, you never made anything!

I agree with Sheddie
    There are plenty of back room deals, that if seen in the light of day would make us all cringe.
    Lets (try and) keep the Bastards honest
    100% of all non-smokers die

Quote Originally Posted by Shedhand View Post
    I'm an ex-pollie and if people really knew the what goes on behind the doors of democracy they'd be shocked.
    This is what I'm getting at. Like pollies, we all say stuff in private that could be used against us, or that could at least be embarrassing, if made public. There seems to me to be an element of entrapment in bugging people's phones.

It's not something I feel all that strongly about, however, and I'm happy that they've been exposed. I'm really just expressing the uneasiness I felt when I first heard about it.

Perhaps the pollies should be told [if the taxpayer is paying for this phone] this conversation may be monitored blah blah blah.

Sheddie - ex pollie????

You come across in your posts as being too sensible for that role

It's alright mate - now that you've seen the light and are a forum member we won't hold it against you

Let's face it, we are all fond of a political joke - it just seems a pity that so many of them get elected.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossluck View Post
    This is what I'm getting at. Like pollies, we all say stuff in private that could be used against us, or that could at least be embarrassing, if made public. There seems to me to be an element of entrapment in bugging people's phones.

It's not something I feel all that strongly about, however, and I'm happy that they've been exposed. I'm really just expressing the uneasiness I felt when I first heard about it.
    Hi Rossluck

Dont know much about the WA issue however I think it has the powers of a royal commission so bugging the phones is okay. They are only able to use the material if it is to do with the subject at hand. It is only entrapment if they give incentive for the offender to commit the act.

IE: If Mr X and Mr Y are talking on the phone and the warrant is in relation to corruption and X tells Y something criminal outside of the corruption angle then it is inadmissable and cannot be used in the court.

To get the warrant there needs to be reasonable grounds to suspect that by tapping the phone evidence in relation to a criminal offence that has occurred will be located.

it cant be a case of lets bug this line and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob38S View Post
    Perhaps the pollies should be told [if the taxpayer is paying for this phone] this conversation may be monitored blah blah blah.

Sheddie - ex pollie????

You come across in your posts as being too sensible for that role

It's alright mate - now that you've seen the light and are a forum member we won't hold it against you

Let's face it, we are all fond of a political joke - it just seems a pity that so many of them get elected.
    That's why I'm an ex-pollie. To straight up and down. Not a liar or a mongrel or a cheat. I spent my allowances on hard up constituents. The others invest theirs in Gold Coast units where they can carry on their extra-marital dalliances......
    Rant off

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the bugging would have been done after a warrant was issued.... iaw the Aust Telecommunications and the Privacy Acts.
    Warrants are issued for reasons.

did the info come out as part of evidence tendered to a court proceeding, or was it leaked?
    Cheers,
    Clinton

"Use your third eye" - Watson

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clinton_findlay/

That's why I'm an ex-pollie. To straight up and down. Not a liar or a mongrel or a cheat. I spent my allowances on hard up constituents. The others invest theirs in Gold Coast units where they can carry on their extra-marital dalliances......
    Rant off

Onya Sheddie

where ordinary citizens are concerned.
    Sheddie I agree with all you say except the bit about ORDINARY Citizens.

Perhaps being an ex pollie you have picked up this phrase without realising it.

For politicians to refer to non politicians as ordinary citizens rubs me very much up the wrong way. It makes me angry. It causes me to think evil thoughts about people who think they are better than us ORDINARY people.

Do politicians think they are Extraordinary? If they do, they are right out of touch.

Politicians are our representatives, they come from the pool as the rest of us. They are not our leaders, just people who for all sorts of reasons have an urge to represent us.

I have heard our politicians use the term with reference to both politicians, police and defence personel.

They obviously think that because the majority of us are not in uniform or in Canberra, State Parliament or Local Government that we are second rate.

When you were a politician were you led to believe you were superior to the rest of us ORDINARY citizens?

Were you led to believe you had privelages that we ORDINARY little people didn't have? Apart from being able to tell lies in parliament with immunity.

Were you led to believe you were just a whole lot smarter than the rest of us?

Sheddie, this is a attack on your unfortunate use of the phrase ORDINARY people and not on you personally. You have at least become ordinary again.

I suppose will you say that uniformed people and politicians are less than ordinary!

Sorry mate but this phrase makes my blood boil.
    - Wood Borer

Quote Originally Posted by Wood Borer View Post
    Sheddie I agree with all you say except the bit about ORDINARY Citizens.

Perhaps being an ex pollie you have picked up this phrase without realising it.

For politicians to refer to non politicians as ordinary citizens rubs me very much up the wrong way. It makes me angry. It causes me to think evil thoughts about people who think they are better than us ORDINARY people.

Do politicians think they are Extraordinary? If they do, they are right out of touch.

Politicians are our representatives, they come from the pool as the rest of us. They are not our leaders, just people who for all sorts of reasons have an urge to represent us.

I have heard our politicians use the term with reference to both politicians, police and defence personel.

They obviously think that because the majority of us are not in uniform or in Canberra, State Parliament or Local Government that we are second rate.

When you were a politician were you led to believe you were superior to the rest of us ORDINARY citizens?

Were you led to believe you had privelages that we ORDINARY little people didn't have? Apart from being able to tell lies in parliament with immunity.

Were you led to believe you were just a whole lot smarter than the rest of us?

Sheddie, this is a attack on your unfortunate use of the phrase ORDINARY people and not on you personally. You have at least become ordinary again.

I suppose will you say that uniformed people and politicians are less than ordinary!

Sorry mate but this phrase makes my blood boil.
    Calm down mate. I also hate the phrase, especially when a little weasel like Howard utters it. When I was writing the post I thought to myself, "someone will ark up if I say 'ordinary people'. " So I thought, average? nope that'll insult the above average. Then I thought, 'the voters', but no, there's some git in Melbourne who changed his name to 'Informal' because he was so opposed to voting. In any case a lot of people just don't vote. So, I wasn't putting pollies on a pedestal, just differentiating between those that live in cloud cuckoo land and the rest of us mere mortals. Its the politicians who coined and use the term 'ordinary people', 'ordinary Australians' or 'ordinary voters'. Egged on of course by the fourth estate who rely on them so much for a living if not an actual job.
    The 35 years I spent in politics including the 1 year, 1month and 6 days I spent as a pollie were the biggest waste of a life you could imagine. I put my heart and soul into it (and a LOT of my own money), always wanted to be a pollie so I could help people who couldn't do for themselves. Only to discover its all a nest of vipers (with very few decent ones) out to serve enough time to retire with a fat pension and still be young enough to enjoy it. (I never got a pension btw). Its a pity really and even though I resigned my 32 year ALP membership last month I still love the party and the ideology. Not the people though.
    Cheers

Sheddies totally right WB.
    How should a pollie say everyone except politicians (& public servants?)when referring to the general civilian population.
    No matter what word/s is used someone will be offended.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

My fellow Australians? Perhaps?

Sheddy, I see your problem of finding a suitable phrase but why should there be any differentiation?

If a phrase needs to be chosen to differentiate why choose a phrase that suggests politicians are superior beings? When surveyed for opinions on honesty and trustworthiness people place politicians lower on the scale than car salesmen.

I appreciate your comments Shedhand and although you have given us an excellent view from the inside, I think most people see our political system as you described - far from ideal and not serving it's intended purpose.

It is a pity our political system is seen by budding politicians and serving politicians as a means of self promotion, helping out your mates or making yourself wealthier.

Back to the original topic about bugging.

It seems that politicians are very shady people, far shadier than people who are not involved in politics - why only this last week one had to be sacked because he associated with a criminal, two or three in Qld are being interviewed by police because or fraud or mismanagement of public funds, in Victoria they are drunks having accidents or blowing the bag up and lying about their identity. If these proportions applied to the Australian community we would need to discover another country to dump our crooks.

I suggest there is a higher proportion of crooks in paid political positions than in general society.

Crooks should come to the attention of the police. Police use bugs as an effective way to catch crooks. As there is a high proportion of crooks in politics, I would expect a higher proportion of bugs in politician's offices, homes and cars than in your average suburban street.

Surely nobody thinks politicians should be or are above the law.
    - Wood Borer

I suppose will you say that uniformed people and politicians are less than ordinary
    In some ways I'm less than ordinary, and in some ways I'm extraordinary! Just like everyone else.

I'm a uniformed person, and I'd love to be ordinary...

The trouble with pollies is that they are made up of people from the general community.
    The same % of good people and the same % of scumbags as per the general population.

The same trouble is with the police, Defence Force members, doctors, teachers, religious figures, mechanics, engineers, waiters, farmers, pensioners.....

Bad people don't really matter in the vast majority of occupations... they make our blood boil when they do bad stuff, but we realise that 'people are people'.
    When the same ratbags are paid by the public purse, or are in a position of authority, they are expected to 'do no wrong' and to lead a lifestyle that is 'more morally upright' than the average 'joe blow'. (insert phrase of personal choice to mean 'ordinary people'! )
    Also, as the general public are the ones that fund the 'public purse', everybody feels free to criticise as its their $ that are being spent on the wages.

I agree that those that are paid by the public purse, or are in a position of authority, should be 'bloody good people', but I also know that cream is not the only thing that rises to the top.... and that there will be the same % of miscreants in any employment as there are in the overall population.

Example:
    If WoodBorer gets a ticket for speeding, I reckon his wife will give him a bit of a hard time and that will be about it.... no-one else cares.
    If the Victorian Police Minister gets a speeding ticket, it will be front page news on the Herald Sun.... everyones business.

(apologies to Wood Borer for using you as an example.... its only cause I think you are a good bloke! )

Have fun all, its raining over here so I'm feeling happy.
    Cheers,
    Clinton

"Use your third eye" - Watson

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clinton_findlay/