Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dil

Angry Dil

G'day,

This is a gripe because DIL has pinged me off BIG time!

My Grandad's lathe is on DIL farm in mid n/coast of NSW with all the chucks, centres and gouges etc. you could imagine.

Someone from this forum and a real good bloke has lent me his lathe for a short while.

I need some chucks, gouges etc to use on the borrowed lathe, so I contact DIL to send some down. And every single time I ask him to do something for me, he always thinks he knows better and does something else! :mad:

My blood boils! He isn't sending down the 2MT drill chuck because it weighs 1kg, so he has taken it upon himself to modify one of the other chucks, welded a rod to it, shaped it to a 2MT and says, "it'll do what you want"

He's taken it upon himself to bugger up a perfectly good chuck, that was my Grandad's, now mine because he was too $%#%@$%$ pigheaded to do what I asked! That pings me off big time!

It's not the first time he's modified something. Last time it was the support frame that my Dad fabricated for his d/press, face plate sander and 14" b/saw. Each time he took upon himself to modify it because he thought it should be. Never mind they weren't his or that they were my inheritance from my Grandad or Dad.

For the time the lathe will stay at the farm I'm stressed at what else he might modify because he thinks it should be, never crosses his mind to ask me first. OK, I haven't seen what he has modified or done yet, but fair go.
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

take a flying trip with atandem trailer or a hire truck and collect it all while you can otherwise.....
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

If this stuff is yours I think that you are well within your rights

to abuse the crap out of him!!!
    Have a nice day - Cheers

collect the goodies BEFORE you do that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

G'day,

Thanks Wood Butcher and Echidna.

It's on permanent loan to DIL for helping me get down all the other machinery from QLD until he carks it - but if it continues to sit in the shed unused then I'm going to have a chat about changing our agreement. Did so at the time because SWMBO and I were living in a 2 bedroom unit. Things you regret in hindsight hey?

The lathe I've borrowed is on loan until the bloke decides to sell it. What I'll do, as I have 1st bid is buy it off him, put it on a trailer, take it up to DIL and say here's a lathe for you and I'll take mine back with all it's bits thanks very much. :mad: Just don't have the dosh to buy it right now.

DIL's are fine except when they think they know best and don't give a thought to what others might think, even when the item in question isn't theirs.

Haven't told SWMBO yet what DIL said tonight on the phone as she's on the phone to them right now as I don't want to stuff her conversation up. Besides, she often get caught in the middle of DIL and I.

www.brandhouse.net.au

Sorry to hear of your problem. Very frustrating when people with the best of intentions do things that your worst enemy would only drool about.
    - Wood Borer

Waldo
    I live in the ACT.
    I have a 14' x 6'6 trailer (bed size)
    Dual axle. Disk brakes.
    You may borrow it if you neeed to.
    Dave..

Ok what is DIL?
    I thought it may be daughter in law but then it is refered to as a he???:confused:
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.

G'day,

Thanks Stinkalot, should be FIL then I guess.

Damn FIL's :mad:

www.brandhouse.net.au

I'd interpreted it as either "Damned In-Law" or "D!@#head-in-law"

Every family has a couple of both...
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

G'day Mate,

I like your interpretation of DIL. Must've meant DIL after all instead of FIL.

www.brandhouse.net.au

Dork-In-Law ???

Waldo, I can so appreciate you being so considerate and holding your tongue, but fair tweak of the tweasers, not only have you had MIL but now the DIL to deal with too. Nope, go and get your gear, your inheritance before it loses any more value, both $ and sentimental, then tell him what you think of him.

I originally thought that you meant DIL = DILL Maybe that applies too.

Cheers
    Wendy

G'day Rufflyrustic,

Thanks.

I told my beautiful wife of my displeasure with DIL (sorry, not FIL - insert your own words) and plan that if the lathe is put up for sale that I'll buy it, take it up and bring mine back and she gave me her blessing.

See what my blood pressure is like when the package arrives in the post as to what chuck he decided to alter. He never does what I ask, but what he thinks how it should be done. :mad:

Have calmed down, for now.

www.brandhouse.net.au

Nothing like a good steam-blow with people who will commisserate, sympathise and empathise and give you a different perspective.

Glad you are feeling better.

cheers
    RR