Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lathe face mask

Default lathe face mask

I'm new to lathe work. I've got a lathe working. And I've got a dozern or so balusters to turn.

I 'think' I'll pull it off. I've had a few practise goes. The only problem I've noticed is whip around the centre. So, I'll just sand to finish around centre and do the fancy beads etc near the ends.

Anyway,,,,my question is. Do I need a full face mask ? Or will normal safty glasses suffice ?

I know its one of those double edge type questions. If you say 'no' you don't need a face mask..... then you open yourself up to abuse when I rip up my face when something goes wrong. But.....I'd like to get an idea of how necessary it is. I mean.....is wearing a mask as important as ....say ....wearing a helmet to cross the street. Is it really important ?

I'd especially like to hear from experienced lathe turners. How often does something dangerous occur ?

Has anyone been saved from a nasty facial wound by a mask ?

thanks

Dust is Dangerous!, (and so are lumps of wood coming off a spoinning lathe.) I would say that dust protection/extraction is the most discussed subject on these forums(should that be fora?) Do a search, everything you wanted to know but were afraid to ask can be found.
    Jack the Lad.

Red face

I use both glasses and a face mask depending on what I am turning.
    if it is small ie a spinning top I will just use glasses but if it is larger ie a bowl I will use the face mask.

had a bowl explode on me once it shattered the perspex safety gaurd on the lathe then hit the face mask which compressed into my dial breaking my nose and giving me two verrrrrrrrrrrrry black eyes.
    I now have that same bowl as it was when it exploded (in pieces) sitting on my bookcase to remind me how lucky I was

Richard

I wear a full face shield when roughing and when a piece isn't secured as well as it could be ie; jamb fit.
    I should wear it all the time. I suppose it's because my shield is old and and a bit scratched up so it's good enough for roughing but I have to take it off to do more detailed work.................................................................................Thanks for posting the question because I just talked myself into going out and getting a new one and from now on I won't wipe the thing with a rag to get the dust off. That's what scratches it up and shortens the life.
    Safety first.
    PS. It's good to see this Safety forum is getting some use. When I suggested a safety forum http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...t=safety+forum it was met with some hostility. It's good to see that some of the people who were against it are now contributing to it. Hey.....the earth really is round.
    I guess that's what they call progress.

It might never happen but it is good to know the face shield is there if it does.

You might consider a respirator with full face shield, there is more danger from dust than flying pieces of timber.

Growing old is much better than the alternative!

Wearing nothing:

Broken arm, severe bruising, sinus irritation.

Wearing Safety Glasses:

3 Stitches where the glasses nose piece was buried into my head & a black eye, sinus irritation.

Wearing Full Helmet/Respirator(the orange one!)

Not even a scratch or a sniffle!!!

Now what's the answer????

Jamie
    Perhaps it is better to be irresponsible and right, than to be responsible and wrong.
    Winston Churchill

Thanks fellas. I'm not too worried about breathing in the dust. I've got an open shed with a heavy fan running, and I don't expect to use the lathe much..... but now having said that I'll probably get cancer

But, still I betta get one. Or maybe I could use my welding mask ? ... .Has anyone tried that ?

But really, do many accidents occur when turning between centres ? I mean, straight grained stuff..... The impression I've got, is that you really only get into trouble, when your making bowls and the like out of burl; knotted looking stuff.....off a faceplate.....you know when your work ....'EXPLODES! ' as you guys put it.

Safety glasses are the minimum. A full-face respirator is the other extreme... personally I dislike these finding 'em bulky and awkward.

In between there's the full-face hoods. I won't recommend the plastic shields as I've found they constantly fog up. IMHO the mesh shields like flyscreen are far better. Same headgear, just a different face plate.

Personally I use either glasses or the mesh shield with a good dust-mask, one with replacable filters.

A poke in the eye can blind, dust can kill... some dusts are extremely toxic!

And yes, spindle turning has just as much risk. If the wood has a weak grain large splinters can fly off, or if you have a large catch you can actually lever the wood out from between the drive/spur centres! No matter what the cause, when a rapidly spinning lump of wood decides to leave the vicinity of the lathe, you really want to have your more "sensitive" areas protected!

Oh... and as to how "important" these items are? How "important" is a push-stick or a bladeguard on a table-saw? Same sort of risk level...
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Quote Originally Posted by apricotripper
    How often does something dangerous occur ?
    When you least expect it!
    :eek:
    How much wood could the woodchuck chuck if the woodchuck could chuck wood?

Quote Originally Posted by Skew ChiDAMN!!
    ..................you really want to have your more "sensitive" areas protected! .......
    So a cricketer's "box" would be a good idea too? :eek:

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman Mick
    So a cricketer's "box" would be a good idea too? :eek:
    That'd depend on how high the lathe is set up. Reading of incidents with tablesaws I'm beginning to wonder if they shouldn't be deemed mandatory there, too!

Dunno 'bout you, but I don't like being poked in any of my eyes...

- Andy Mc

I visited a woodturning club where the majority of members had been woodturning for 5 years plus. I was surprised to see no full face masks and very few people using safety glasses. They relied on technique and feel and when I spoke to some of them, they had experienced very few accidents. Having said that some protection is essential simply for the confidence it gives you. You want to concentrate on technique, not the thought of wood firing back at you. The trouble is finding equipment which is both comfortable and practical.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    I visited a woodturning club where the majority of members had been woodturning for 5 years plus. I was surprised to see no full face masks and very few people using safety glasses.
    [Snort!] Remind me never to visit them. I gather that's the club with the seeing-eye dogs lined up out front? The one next-door to the amputees club for sawyers who don't use push-sticks and blade guards?

They relied on technique and feel and when I spoke to some of them, they had experienced very few accidents.
    This is true. Proper methods and intuition do minimise accidents... they do not prevent them though. Worse, it takes time and a few accidents along the way to develop these!!

The "my judgement & skills are so good that I won't have an accident" argument is pure fallacy. We're all only human. We all make mistakes. It's when we do make mistakes that you either appreciate that you were wearing the appropriate gear or curse yourself for not...

A few dollars now on prevention or $K? later trying to find a cure? I know which choice I'd make.

Having said that some protection is essential simply for the confidence it gives you. You want to concentrate on technique, not the thought of wood firing back at you. The trouble is finding equipment which is both comfortable and practical.
    True. If you're scared of a tool you shouldn't be using it. This is not to say you shouldn't respect it. If you don't respect it and its' ability to cause you hurt, and if you don't take minimal precautions to guard against such harm, then frankly you're a bloody idiot.

Like I said: safety glasses are the absolute minimum.

- Andy Mc

safty glasses are the absolute minimum.....

Yep, I think your right.

Also agree with the necessity for accidents to latter minimise them. Which means, for someone new to lathe work, like myself, its a must to wear a face sheild.

My biggest fear is loosing another finger , to tell you the truth

Safety devices, though, can sometimes be troublesome, even, causing of accidents, IMO. Not saying they should not be used, of course, because in general they must help. But, sometimes they worsen things.

I had a jointer accident a few months ago, even though I was quite experienced with using the machine.
    When I first bought the machine what I did was, remove the safety guard, because it wouldn't twist properly. Shouldn't have done it, but it was bloody annoying and always got in the way.
    Because I could always sight those whirling blades I always immensely careful around them. Good strong overlapping grips over the fence etc....such that if ever something was kicked my hand wouldn't end up in the blades.
    One day I decided I better make this safety guard work. Fixed it....put it back on....and because suddenly I no longer saw those whirling blades it gave me a false sense of security.
    I became complacient and ended up dropping the tip of my finger into the blades. Took the top 1/4" off. That wouldn't have happened, if that guard was never put back on. Certain of it.

I know that safety devices help in general, but what I think happens when you don't use them you become more instinctly careful. anyway, I think thats what Tiger was talking about, concerning that club that doesn't care about safety. But,,,,, Skew ChiDAMN,,,,,I think your absolutely right.

Quote Originally Posted by apricotripper
    Safety devices, though, can sometimes be troublesome, even, causing of accidents, IMO. Not saying they should not be used, of course, because in general they must help. But, sometimes they worsen things.
    Agreed wholeheartedly. That's why I prefer the mesh type faceplates to the plain plastic ones. If you can't see 'cos the damned thing's fogged up...

I know that safety devices help in general, but what I think happens when you don't use them you become more instinctly careful. anyway, I think thats what Tiger was talking about, concerning that club that doesn't care about safety.
    Yeah, I take your point. I know I'm more careful when I'm working the triton w/out a guard. Perhaps I shouldn't but I do. As you said, there's times when the safety gear increases risk rather than reducing it.

I apologise to Tiger if I seemed to come on strong there, but my first impression was definitely "BAD advice." I think he could've worded it a bit better...

- Andy Mc