Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Power from Ceiling in new workshop

Hi guys

I am in the process of redoing my workshop (new floors, cabinets etc) in order to make everything work better.

I am laying a new plywood T & G floor on top of the slab as the slab is not level and has a lot of low and high spots (i have investigated using a Self Leveling Compound but this is too expensive and I like the idea of having a nice wooden floor to work on). I originally thought of running the power under the floor and having some GPO's installed in the floor for my tools but I decided that I want the power to "drop" from the ceiling as this will mean provide me with greater flexibility when it comes to locating my machinery.

Are there any issues I need to consider with having a "sparky" run power to half a dozen GPO's mounted on the exposed celing rafters? Are there any "special fittings that can be used?

Thanks
    Regards
    Greg

I use two pendant outlets and wish I had more. Make sure you suspend them by a chain and NOT the power cable (unless you want to burn down the shed and get no insurance for it).

They are great, highly recommend them. Put one or two over your bench and a few where the assembly table/area is.

I also have a couple of pendant outlets for a few of my "not against the wall " machines....much easier to install (no chasing out the floor or laying conduit or cable to trip over). As Groggy says they are great.

Over my bench I also have one of those retractable 10amp leads. I find I can use that for all of my hand held power tools... pretty much anywhere in the shed I need to use them.

Cheers
    BD

Thanks guys!

As always, good ideas!

Regards
    Greg