Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Clear satin finish for wooden bath??

Hi all, I have a client who is asking for a wooden bath and after scratching my head and a few phone calls today, I am still after some advice about what finish to use inside the bath. It's not so much the water but the temperature of the water that I am having issues with. I know the japanese use oil(sunflower?) on their baths but I am looking for a clear satin finish that would last.

Any ideas???

regards,

AD
    www.denmanmarine.com.au
    Australian agent for Swallow Boats, Bruynzeel Multipanel Plywood and Barton Marine Products

The guy I sail with raves about a "clear spar varnish" marine paint from Germany that costs a bomb but supposedly is the trick.
    I'll ask him the name of it tomorrow.

However, for a bath I'm not sure I'd use any finish.
    The Japanese don't use soap in their baths — you soak in clean hot water after you have washed yourself.

but us westeners would likely stuff any wooden bath by using soap

The other thing you could consider is the West Epoxy system that is generally used on wooden boats. If it keeps the water out of boats, then it should keep the water in the bath........

Thanks guys,

I use West epoxy on an almost daily basis but unfortunately it is not suitable here due to a relatively low HDT.

Ian, was it Werdol varnish?

regards,

AD
    www.denmanmarine.com.au
    Australian agent for Swallow Boats, Bruynzeel Multipanel Plywood and Barton Marine Products

more relevant is what timber are you going to use?
    I can only suggest that you apply an oil like linseed but apply it as hot as is safe to increase the penetration of the oil. you may have to have a frank talk to your client about what is possiable and what is not.
    synthetics will flake, and oil will degrade with soap and god knows what jiff and other bath cleaners will do to it.
    So unless your client wants to go totally japanese and only use the bath with water, no soap, no shampoo he/she will be disappointed and end up blameing you.

astrid

Used to have long wooden wash troughs, with 4 big sections, made out of NZ Kauri, never leaked, never sealed with anything and always looked clean. Also had a couple of horse troughs that were originally baths made from kauri. Can't ever remember them leaking either did have a lining of green slime though.

Back in the 50's my grand parents in Singleton used to have something similar that us kids were bathed in on the massive kitchen table.

Timber water holding vessels like tubs and barrels rely on the water swelling the wood and keeping the joints tight and are not finished on the wet side. I can not think of any finish that will last long in bath like conditions. Hot water, soap and bathroom cleaners will soon degrade any finish applied.

Regards
    John

OOOOOoooo a wooden bath!!!! OOooooo pics please when you finish

You may get some ideas from this site http://www.driftwood.ie/coatings.html

Donna

A Japanese bath made of wood is an ofuro, and is traditionally made of Hinoki, a japanese cedar that has oil in the timber. They are particular about the wood because it has a scent when filled with hot water. As mentioned, they don't use soap, but wash before entering it.

You can't use soap with a wooden bath. Any other finish would have to totally encapsulate the wood. I saw some baths (I think on the forum here) that were fibreglass with a wood veneer under epoxy that were very nice.

Two important questions to ask. How will they use it, what bathing habit will they have? And how will you build it, will it be solid timber or something else.

When I was a kid, my Dad made a hot tub from marine ply and fibreglassed it. No leaks, but really, really ugly.

For solid unfinished wood, I'd put my money on teak, kauri, redwood, cedar. I wouldn't put a guarantee on any finish that will be exposed to those conditions either.
    Do nothing, stay ahead

Question Wooden Bath

Some years ago I saw a bathroon vanity top, including hand basin that was carved from a single Camphor Laurel tre. This piece also included the splashback. Edges were left natural and the grain flowed down the plughole . It was Gorgeous! That was coated with Enviro-Tec(???). and I was assured it would stand up to the conditions for many years to come.
    Whether this woul happen with a bath is another matter but it might be worth looking into that product and also Liquid Glass.
    Last edited by artme; 24th November 2007 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Idiot Keyboard.

I wish you had a photo of that, Artme! Now that would be inspiring!!

cheers
    Wendy

Thanks for all the replies people. Timber will either be e.regnans, celery or huon. Certainly hard to find a finish that will stand up to everything.

regards,

AD
    www.denmanmarine.com.au

Anyone who has had some experience with Rustin's Plastic coating may be able to comment further but it occurs to me it may be worth investigating whether it is suitable as a finish for a timber bath.

Being such a heavy build two pack finish it seems like the ideal coating.

http://www.rustins.com.au/rustins/ru...ating%20p1.htm

Default Bath finish

Wish I had a photo too Wendy! Alas the maker has shifted on and I have no idea where he is.

Celery Top is probably your best choice. From my chats withTassie boaties and Builders and A bit of reseach Celery Top is supposedly the most stable of any timber in the world once seasoned. It moves by only about 1%-2%. This is why it is used above the waterline on boats. Exposure to wet? dry means it doesn't move about and is eadier to maintain.

Default finishing a timber bath

Hello all, reading this forum with interest.
    We have been finishing timber bathtubs for some time now and have had none of the issues you mentioned.
    have a look at estelladesign.com.au
    matt