Default draftsperson, Brisbane

Hi there

This is my very first post!

I'm looking for a reasonably priced draftsperson in Brisbane to amend the drawings that came with the house we bought.
    Approved deck is 7x3, but we would like to extend to 7x5 and add a roof (which I'm told amended plans will cost around $300)
    and a plan for downstairs (of which we have scribbled onto paper).

the original draftsperson, can't do amend them for 3 months and wants to charge $1200.

Is it simply a matter of using CAD to amend or do we need the draftsperson to consider the building code (eg how wide the hallway needs to be?) and structural joists for the deck?

Who are draftspeople governed by? (Engineering Association?)

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzyg View Post
    Is it simply a matter of using CAD to amend or do we need the draftsperson to consider the building code (eg how wide the hallway needs to be?) and structural joists for the deck?
    The original draftperson may own the copyright on the drawings and you may not be allowed to modify the drawings. Unless specified in writing the copyright will ussually belong to the designer. You'll need to get written permission to modify them.

I'm not sure what class they fall under, Building designers are required to be BSA licensed. Most draftsperson should be clued up on most aspects of BCA / Aust Standards for what they're designing. Worth giving the BSA a call for some free advice.

Engineers signing off draftsperson designed drawings need to be licensed. Board of Professional Engineers (07) 32246032.

Default Drafting and Structural Engineering

Dizzyg,

Null and Void has given you good advice in my books. While the drafter can prepare the drawings including all the details I think a Registered Professional Rngineer Queensland (RPEQ) Structural Engineer must sign off the drawings. My company does this on very large scale indistrial buildings. One of my sons was a structural tracer and could help if the delay is just in the CAD side but he always worked under the direction of a Structural Engineer. As well as the BSA could I suggest you talk to your council as they may have some pamplets giving you directions on the processes.

Very often those little changes become major structural redraws so the $1200 may not be unrealistic.

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzyg View Post
    Approved deck is 7x3, but we would like to extend to 7x5 and add a roof (which I'm told amended plans will cost around $300)
    and a plan for downstairs (of which we have scribbled onto paper).

the original draftsperson, can't do amend them for 3 months and wants to charge $1200.
    Price sounds ok ..... They should be charging at a little over $100 per hour, plus printing, admin etc. Inputing the existing plans from hard copy back to cad can be a pain, the original draftsperson should have the cad files so that will make it easier. Some plans scribbled onto paper can be more of a hinderance than a help.

What is the $300 for? is it to have the amended plans endorsed through council? If it is I would b jumping up and down for having to pay to have the plans sitting on somebodys desk for weeks until you bug them anough then they put the rubber stamp on them.

Not sure of the intention of your question. Is the problem the $1200 or the 3 month wait. If it is the $1200, then as with everyting in life you get what you pay for, if its the 3 months I am sure that there would be somebody around that could do it quicker, unfortunaltely I don't know of anybody in your state.
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.