Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Ready to assemble?

When did the spin doctors get into woodworking?

It wasn't long ago that an item, such as a wheel barrow was advertised as, "assembly required" ..... now with the assistance of spin doctors it is "ready to assemble". It is like they are doing us a favour by getting all of the parts ready for us and now we need to just put it together .... wow much less work than "assembly required" beacuse all of the parts may not be there.
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.

Just acquire a new barra mate?

I know what you are saying Sir Stinkalot and I am sure bits and fixings sometimes are missing.
    The real benefits are for the cost conscience buyer and you won’t see RTA in the higher priced goods. Lower labor costs because it isn’t assembled, less storage and lower shipping costs and the buyer gets to wreck it when putting it together.
    Ikea have been able to compete all over the world in the lower to middle income market with this concept.
    Not for me but there are a lot of rooms furnished with RTA goods.
    Cheers,
    Rod

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

RTA is Ok providing the instructions are not in Chinglish, I hate getting the plans for a table when I have a chair in front of me.
    I still remember when I was a kid I got a real flying glider kit, when the package was opened it comprised of a full size pplan, pieces (uncut) of balsa wood, a tube of glue and a single sided razor blade. I had to supply the pencil.
    It worked.
    Having said that, I hate the blurb on the box ( new stuff) that states it can be assembled in minutes, not forgetting there are 1440 minutes in a day.
    Lets not forget all the bloody styrene and cardboard that won't fit in the bin too, that really is a pet hate.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Beachport, South Oz, the best little town on the planet.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Iain
    Having said that, I hate the blurb on the box ( new stuff) that states it can be assembled in minutes, not forgetting there are 1440 minutes in a day.
    Lets not forget all the bloody styrene and cardboard that won't fit in the bin too, that really is a pet hate.
    You bleedin' mungrell!! WRONG FLAMIN" PLACE!! Yer shoulda put in the "HATE" place........ cheeze I hate it when you do that! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Quote Originally Posted by Harry72
    Just acquire a new barra mate?
    No ..... just saw it on a Bunnings ad and it made me think. I have no problem with self assembly ..... its just interesting to see how the language has changed from what was a negitive to now spin it into a positive.

Self/ready to assemble is a great idea as it does keep transport, storage and labour times down ..... just a simple observation on the change in language.
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.