Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Stanley 289 Question

Hi All!

I have a question about Stanley 289s after reading this entry at Mr Leach's site:

ST53 #289 fillister plane; one of Stanley's best planes, this is the best model of the plane with its three lobe nickers,
    the same used on the #78; ideal for cutting rabbets in any direction, including across the grain, it has all
    original parts; 95% japanning, no damage, expected paint splatters as camouflage so you don't mistake it for a
    modern soulless effort, it can be used left or right hand; a solid example;
    http://www.supertool.com/forsale/may/t82.jpg
    When he says "you don't mistake it for a modern soulless effort", is he referring to other manufacturers' knock-off copies of the 289? Is anyone here aware of another company making 289s?

Thanks!

Craig

Only a guess but he may mean Veritas' skew rabbets:

Veritas® Skew Rabbet Plane - Lee Valley Tools

Nick

Cool Not sure...

I wasn't sure - you'd have to be pretty dull to mistake a 289 for the Veritas.

I can't rule it out, but was hoping that somebody here might be aware if there is anyone who has manufactured a copy of the 289.

Craig

Scribbly Gum is offline When the student is ready, the Teacher will appear

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius View Post
    Hi All!

I have a question about Stanley 289s after reading this entry at Mr Leach's site:

When he says "you don't mistake it for a modern soulless effort", is he referring to other manufacturers' knock-off copies of the 289? Is anyone here aware of another company making 289s?

Thanks!

Craig
    The only other - sort of - similar to - might be like - the Stanley 289 that I can think of is the Record 712 (713,714) - even rarer than the 289 I think.
    Patrick is a salesman and this description is like many of his in his newsletter - he is doing his best to sell you on this plane.
    Don't get me wrong, the 289 is a very good plane.
    .... some old things are lovely
    Warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them ........................D.H. Lawrence
    https://thevillagewoodworker.blogspot.com/

Cool Thanks!

Scribbly Gum,

Thanks. I like the sounds of the 289, but don't like my odds of grabbing that particular one It's hundreds cheaper than any other complete one I know of, looks functional(ish) and that is a popular list.

I was half-hoping that there might be an Indian company or Chinese one making one.

Craig

Scribbly Gum is offline When the student is ready, the Teacher will appear

The lee Valley Skew Rabbet plane is over $100 cheaper than that particular 289.
    The LV has a better fence, and a blade depth adjuster that the 289 lacks. Its blade is of arguably better steel and is ready to use out of the box. As well, it has a wooden handle - much more comfortable in winter.
    If you are after functionality, I think it wins hands down.
    An extra $116 is a lot to pay for soul.
    Cheers
    SG
    .... some old things are lovely
    Warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them ........................D.H. Lawrence
    https://thevillagewoodworker.blogspot.com/

A bit of an aside to the original Q, however does anyone know of a replacement blade that fits the original 289?

One other avenue to get one is to wait for a 'user' to come up. I paid $100 for mine with a fence from a 78. Works fine but isn't for the purists.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by nick_b00 View Post
    Only a guess but he may mean Veritas' skew rabbets:

Veritas® Skew Rabbet Plane - Lee Valley Tools

Nick
    Nick
    I don't think so.
    Most of "Blood and Gore" dates from the late 90s, well before the Veritas plane was released.

I think Patrick may be refering to a version produced by Kunz
    regards from Alberta, Canada

ian

Ian,

Craigs post and description is from Patrick Leach's monthly tool sale newsletter not Blood and Gore - but on re-reading said description I agree with you and SG: more likely he means a copy eg Record, Kunz or others than the Veritas.

NB

Ian,

Craigs post and description is from Patrick Leach's monthly tool sale newsletter not Blood and Gore - but on re-reading said description I agree with you and SG: more likely he means a copy eg Record, Kunz or others than the Veritas.

NB
    thanks to Bigpond/Foxtel I can no longer get to blood and gore, let alone Patrick's monthly sale brochure
    regards from Alberta, Canada

ian

I'm in the same boat. .

Nick

I was having that issue for some time ... but it has been working fine for the last month or so.

But on the weekend, this forum wasn't coming up without sacrificing two chickens and a goat!

Paul.

Smile Phew!

Quote Originally Posted by pmcgee View Post
    I was having that issue for some time ... but it has been working fine for the last month or so.

But on the weekend, this forum wasn't coming up without sacrificing two chickens and a goat!

Paul.
    Two chickens and a goat! Lucky you weren't trying to get the the "Blood & Gore" website then!

Smile

A bit of an aside to the original Q, however does anyone know of a replacement blade that fits the original 289?

One other avenue to get one is to wait for a 'user' to come up. I paid $100 for mine with a fence from a 78. Works fine but isn't for the purists.

Nick
    Nick,

I found a place to get a replacement blade. St James Bay Tool Co. ! $25.00 US on their Stanley Spare Parts page. Sounds pretty reasonable to me!

Craig

Question Stanley 289 Manual

Any suggestions for where I might find a manual for the 289 online?

Thanks,

Craig