Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help required, apply within..

Hi guys..

I have had time to revamp my Brickwork website over Christmas and need your help.

I need you to have a squiz at it and give me your thoughts as to lay out, ease of use, etc.
    I will be putting more piccys up when I get the time.
    I still have some work to do.

What else could I add to help people out with their brickwork.

Be honest and brutal please.

Thanks, Al

Very useful Al. I intend to do some brickwork soon and your page reminded me of the process and mix ratios. The improvements I would suggest are ones that you'd be aware of, like it'd be great to have little pictures through the instructions, and maybe a plan section for BBQ's and letterboxes, planter boxes and so on (there was also a punctuation glitch I noticed somewhere: wont instead of won't).

I started doing a brickie's apprenticeship somewhere in my distant past, and the brickie who was teaching me emphasised the importance of rolling the mud on the trowel in the way that you describe so well. I have to admit that when I try and lay bricks these days I start off with the trowel and end up using my fingers.:confused:

Good luck with the page.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossluck View Post
    like it'd be great to have little pictures through the instructions, and maybe a plan section for BBQ's and letterboxes, planter boxes and so on .
    All on the to do list, I hope to get some sort of plans happening, maybe I could use Lego blocks to illustrate?

Al

South Oz, the big smokey bit in the middle

Quote Originally Posted by ozwinner View Post
    maybe I could use Lego blocks to illustrate?

Al
    Yeah, and you'll get emails from people who've scoured the shops looking for those 'special' bricks

Richard

Thumbs up

A very useful resource for the home handyman.
    As people know I've just gone through the process of house additions. We built a double brick external loadbearing wall 11.0m wide x 3.7m tall. I did the brickies labourer bit. One of the things I learnt to do (apart from never wanting to be a brickies labourer again) was how to cut a brick with a bolster which has always been a problem for me. I know the pro's probably use a masonry cutting wheel but the average DIYer wouldn't bother.

If you could include a section on that it would be a useful addition. Also the tools brickies use and a description of their use with pictures. How to lay out for square and other shapes. Strip footing dimensions for walls (retaining and load-bearing).

Good work mate and good luck with it.
    If you never made a mistake, you never made anything!

Nice look. Easy and straightforward concept. Are you going to expand to other things like rendering or baging?

Instead of lego, you could make your own brick component and mortar fill Sketchup and export it as a 2d Graphic (jpeg).

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Bagging is there, but wot is them silver things on yer fingers????
    I though only Royalty could wear a ring on the thumb
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    Bagging is there, but wot is them silver things on yer fingers????
    I though only Royalty could wear a ring on the thumb
    Thats some other fella, and its tape to stop ya fingers from wearing out.

Love the gaffa tape on the fingers
    Must be universal with builders/ brickies. My Dad used to do the same.

In starting to lay you mention that cement comes in different flavours (might have to try some ), did you mean to say types?

In Guage Rod is peice supposed to be spelled piece (cant remember :mad: )

In Mortar Bed Joint, in describing how to furrow the mortar, you say to stick the trowel in the middle of the mortar and to pull it back towards you. Would it be easier to say, pull along the length of the brick. Depending on how the person is standing, their interpertation could be different.

Bricklayers contact list "priceing" should be pricing

Would it ok to mention on your site for people to check the safety precautions regarding the use of cement.

The only reason that I am saying this is because I used to help my father with concreting etc (300m2 on a rotary dairy at one stage)

I just found out recently, that contact with cement can cause skin allergies. I can attest to that, with my skin now giving me rashes from stainless steel, sterling silver etc.

http://www.cdc.gov/eLCOSH/docs/d0500...3/d000513.html

It's good that you are sharing your knowledge, and helping people understand the basics of bricklaying. The site looks well laid out and easy to follow links.
    I reckon a light background of a brick wall would look pretty good.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
    for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    ....................... .......................

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Anything would help me, my bricklaying and welding skills are questionable to say the least.
    It has been suggested that I welded up the Titanic and built the walls of Jericho
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by tameriska View Post
    Love the gaffa tape on the fingers
    Must be universal with builders/ brickies. My Dad used to do the same.

In starting to lay you mention that cement comes in different flavours (might have to try some ), did you mean to say types?
    On porpose

In Guage Rod is peice supposed to be spelled piece (cant remember :mad: )
    Changed

In Mortar Bed Joint, in describing how to furrow the mortar, you say to stick the trowel in the middle of the mortar and to pull it back towards you. Would it be easier to say, pull along the length of the brick. Depending on how the person is standing, their interpertation could be different.
    You have to stand side on to spread so I imagine its towards your self. ( I will add that to the description.)

Bricklayers contact list "priceing" should be pricing
    Changed

Would it ok to mention on your site for people to check the safety precautions regarding the use of cement.
    I think the safety warnings are on the cement bags, So I dont think I need it, for the acid yes as its a totally different safety issue, acid safety is instant, the cement is a time exposure thing.

The only reason that I am saying this is because I used to help my father with concreting etc (300m2 on a rotary dairy at one stage)

I just found out recently, that contact with cement can cause skin allergies. I can attest to that, with my skin now giving me rashes from stainless steel, sterling silver etc.

http://www.cdc.gov/eLCOSH/docs/d0500...3/d000513.html

It's good that you are sharing your knowledge, and helping people understand the basics of bricklaying. The site looks well laid out and easy to follow links.
    I reckon a light background of a brick wall would look pretty good.
    I tryed it and it looked too cluttered.

Hey Al,
    Why don't you paste this thread to your website as an FAQ
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shedhand View Post
    A very useful resource for the home handyman.
    As people know I've just gone through the process of house additions. We built a double brick external loadbearing wall 11.0m wide x 3.7m tall. I did the brickies labourer bit. One of the things I learnt to do (apart from never wanting to be a brickies labourer again) was how to cut a brick with a bolster which has always been a problem for me. I know the pro's probably use a masonry cutting wheel but the average DIYer wouldn't bother.

If you could include a section on that it would be a useful addition.
    Coming soon
    Also the tools brickies use and a description of their use with pictures. How to lay out for square and other shapes. Strip footing dimensions for walls (retaining and load-bearing).
    Also coming soon.

Good work mate and good luck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by echnidna View Post
    Hey Al,
    Why don't you paste this thread to your website as an FAQ
    A FAQ sounds like a good idea too Bob.

If your wall isn't straight....it means you're a crap bricklayer.
    If your wall is sagging as you lay it......it also means you're a crap bricklayer.

Al

the pic of the "furrow in bed joint" is a little confusing because of the angle... took a while for me to figure it out.
    The "wall length" table.... can't work out what it means. This is because I know nothing about bricklaying.... but its people like me that the site's designed for right?

Overall, an interesting website. Pretty damn well laid out and pleasing to the eye. Good stuff!

Possible additions:
    Blocks and the 'no mortar' blocks called "'Connex - Mortarless masonry blocks" from Boral. I mention these as they are relevant for the cyclone rated areas and blocks are good for 'beginners projects' and retaining walls.
    Lots more pics (could a pic of the plasticizer and non-plasticizer mortar be added - i.e. would the pic show a differance?)
    Is 'slump testing' used in mortar?

It is already a very useful site and I've bookmarked it for future cruising.... more detail will make it an excellent site.
    Cheers,
    Clinton

"Use your third eye" - Watson

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clinton_findlay/