Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Engineer in Hell

I was reminded of this story by Peter R's Defamation post in the Nothing to do with Woodworking section.

A man dies and on reaching the Pearly Gates is told that he is not booked into the upper house.

Philisophically he goes down to hell and is greeted by the devil. The man explains his predicament and the devil pronounces that they do not descriminate and will take anyone who shows up. By the way, he asks the man what he does. The man replys that on earth he was an engineer. The devil asks if he builds things and the man replies "You bet."

The devils eyes light up (red) and he declares there is plenty of work for him.

After a period of time the almighty casts a glance down to the lower house and sees all kinds of development going on. He decides to telephone the devil and find out.

Devil: Devil here.

Almighty: Almighty speaking. Looks like there are some things happening down there. What gives?

Devil: You betcha. We have this engineer bloke here who's a bloody marvel. He's built viaducts, contour banks, bridges, canals and there is a mountain of projects planned.

Almighty: I've been consulting our guest list and there has been a terrible mistake. He should be up here where belongs.

Devil: You had your chance. You blew it. He's staying here.

Almighty: Come on now, you know he should have been here all along.

Devil: Sorry bro, you messed up and we've got him.

Almighty: If you do not return him you will be sorry!

Devil: Oh yeah? I'm tellin' ya he's stayin'.

Almighty: I'll,.... I'll sue!

Devil (laughing): Come on now, be sensible, where are you going to find a lawyer up there?

Regards and Happy New Year

Paul

PS I know some really nice people who are lawyers.
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmiller
    Devil (laughing): Come on now, be sensible, where are you going to find a lawyer up there?
    Paul, there is a lot of truth in that but more to the point where are they going to find a good judge.

Peter.

See signature below.
    Is there anything easier done than said?
    - Stacky. The bottom pub, Cobram.

Peter

Does this fit in with people being promoted to a position of incompetence? You are promoted to a point where you are no longer suited to the job and there you stay.

The main problem for these people is staying in touch with reality.

DanP

I have been amused by your signature for some while. I nearly suggested that you look at the post and then I decided that you would home in on it anyway. Looks like I was right. I didn't expect your sleuthing technique to be quite so quick and efficient.

Lastly I was originally told this story by an engineer and the other person he was telling it to was a solicitor, who is now a judge!

Regards

Paul
    Bushmiller;

Paul,

A big part of the flaws of our legal system rest with the method of selecting judges.

The norm is that they are selected from and appointed out of the barristers that practice in that state. As barristers charge such exorbitant fees for their work good barristers earn about 4 to 5 times what judges earn. Because of the big drop in pay most of the really good barristers don't accept appointment to the bench. Those that do come from the medium range.

The second main problem is their effective appointment for life. Although parliament can remove a judge in practice it never happens. Therefore there is no real way of ensuring that they stay up to date. I know there are courts of appeal but they also consists of the same type of judges who are very reluctant to criticise their brother judges.

The final problem is that because of their environment they never have been or ever will remain in touch with reality. When was the last time that someone with common sense became a judge ? or someone struggling to raise a family on a low income ? or a victim of crime ?

Until judges are selected from a cross section of the community and for shorter terms it won't improve. Also there should be automatic review of their sentincing pattern so that it accurately reflects community standards.

Peter.

WHOOOOA, this thread is getting way too serious for me..

After all it is in the JOKE section!
    I try and do new things twice.. the first time to see if I can do it.. the second time to see if I like it
    Kev

Brudda

Point taken. No more cross dressing.

Regards

Paul
    Bushmiller;

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

I am a member of the Society of Explorers and at one of our monthly luncheons one member, retired Judge, was commenting on breathalysing machines (he had a close call).
    "Trouble with these machines is that they fail to discriminate between a well dined gentleman and a p!sspot"
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Brudda
    WHOOOOA, this thread is getting way too serious for me..

After all it is in the JOKE section!

Sorry mate,

Got carried away again but in my previous life I spent many a days waiting in the corridors of our courts and had too much time to contemplate on the inadequacies of our legal system. :mad:

Peter.

Peter,

What was your previous life?

Dan
    Is there anything easier done than said?
    - Stacky. The bottom pub, Cobram.

Peter

Before you answer that, don't forget that you are not required to give evidence that may incriminate you
    Driver of the Forums
    Lord of the Manor of Upper Legover

Dan,

It is no secret what I did in my previous light and I am not ashamed of what I did.

When I left school I joined a bank, in the days when banks cared about customer service and provided a real service to the community. Then it was about making a reasonable profit and not rip everybody off with exorbitant charges for normal service. :mad:

After leaving the bank I became an Accountant and worked firstly for a builder/restaurant owner that was often involved in ltigation, secondly for a firm of tax accountants, whose clients needed assistance with the ATO ( often also in courts on appeal from the ATO ) and finally for a golf club which was peaceful but boring.

On the whole an interesting career , except for the waiting in court corridors. :mad:

Sorry Brudda, I know too long and too seriously a reply for the Jokes section. Hope I'm forgiven.

Peter.

...........and they all made pancakes and lived happily ever after.
    Boring signature time again!

At last; a bit of comedy relief!

Regards

Paul
    Bushmiller;

Default Something

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmiller
    At last; a bit of comedy relief!

Regards

Paul
    Where, I must have missed it.

Oh No! Thar' he goes agin', a-whingin' and a-sookin' will it never end, I ask...Never I answer!!!!

Peter R.