Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brisbanites?

Default Brisbanites?

Later this year apon traveling to NZ I will be having a 2-3hr stop in Brisbane while changing over flights... is there any points of woodworkers interest near Brisbane's airport, I know in Coorparoo there is Carba's is this reachable in that kind of timeframe?(allowing much drooling time...)

No.

Sorry Harry, the best you can do in 2 hours is nothing! You could get the train to the city and back in that time, but you won't have time to get off the train, or you could go to the monster shopping centre on Airport Drive if you could get there without transport, (Cab drivers are a bit reluctant to take you 2k when they have to pay the airport taxes etc) and there's no train stop yet as far as I know.

If you have your better half with you, you'll miss your plane.

A few weeks ago, I flew out on business, at 8.00am. My wife had taken a friend to the Airport at 7.30, and gone straight to the centre for a 'cup of tea' on the way home.

I arrived back at 4.30pm, and phoned her to let her know. She was 'having lunch' at the same joint! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Maybe you should just sit tight! Could be a good time to join the Qantas Club?

Or a few diehards could meet you there!

Cheers,

P

Quote Originally Posted by bitingmidge
    No.

Sorry Harry, the best you can do in 2 hours is nothing! You could get the train to the city and back in that time, but you won't have time to get off the train, or you could go to the monster shopping centre on Airport Drive if you could get there without transport, (Cab drivers are a bit reluctant to take you 2k when they have to pay the airport taxes etc) and there's no train stop yet as far as I know.

If you have your better half with you, you'll miss your plane.

A few weeks ago, I flew out on business, at 8.00am. My wife had taken a friend to the Airport at 7.30, and gone straight to the centre for a 'cup of tea' on the way home.

I arrived back at 4.30pm, and phoned her to let her know. She was 'having lunch' at the same joint! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Maybe you should just sit tight! Could be a good time to join the Qantas Club?

Or a few diehards could meet you there!

Cheers,

P
    Got to agree with BM thats about all that you would be able in the allotted time. Bit of a shame maybe a little longer some other time

Harry 72, Carbatec is 20 minutes from the airport if you go by car/ Taxi - it costs approximately $25-30 for a one way fare, but you will have to go over the Gateway bridge- its the big bridge you see as you fly into the airport. There is no other direct public transport that I know of, the train will take about 40 - 60 minutes ( it is not direct, you will have to change lines in the city) and then it is another 15 minutes walk from the train station on Cavendish Road Coorparoo up to Harries Road.
    Nearby is Lazarides Timber Agencies at Banyo which is one suburb from the airport - but you will need to get a taxi as there is no public transport.
    Also C & L Tool Centre on Hendra road Nudgee - they stock some Carbatec items, a lot of Dewalt, Milwalkee, Festool and Hitachi, they are soooo close to the "monster shopping centre" (DFO Duty free outlet shopping centre), just drive past the "monster shopping centre" through the 1st roundabout, under the freeway, through the 2nd roundabout, straight ahead into Hendra and at the 1st set of lights after the roundabout, turn left and look for the big C & L sign.
    In summary, if you can get a car or don't mind spending a small amount on a taxi, you can see C & L tool centre ( 10 minutes from airport), Lazarides (maybe 12 minutes from airport) and the DFO Shopping outlet (to keep SWMBO happy, maybe 8-10 minutes depending on traffic) within a 2 hour period as they are all within a stones throw.
    If you are interested, contact me I should be able to locate a map for you, I hope this helps!

Regards,
    Felixe.

Quote Originally Posted by felixe
    "monster shopping center" (DFO Duty free outlet shopping center),.
    Actual id Direct Factory Outlets

"monster shopping center" (DFO Duty free outlet shopping center),.
    Actual it's Direct Factory Outlets

Harry 72,
    After a quick search of yellow pages, here are some basic maps, it shows both businesses are off Nudgee road and close to the airport.

Felixe.

Lazarides Timber Agencies seems to be reasonably close, might see if our Travel agent can prearrange a taxi for us to get there and back.
    Thanks for your help guys

Harry72
    Felixe has the right idea although I'd give the Direct Factory Outlets centre down the road from airport a big miss if you have SWMBO with you. The place is loaded with shoe and clothing shops,:eek: and unless you want to lose all you tool shopping $$ keep going straight past or leave it for on your way back. You'll probably want some $$ left over for any goodies you may see in NZ

It sounds like too short a time frame to take it easy.. But what you could do, is jump in a taxi....15minutes away there's Ascot. Its in that map felixe showed. Posh part of town. Racecoarse roads the centre of it. Posh coffee shops and the like. Could pull up there, buy a $5 coffee and spend a good 1/2 hour perving on the pretty snobby chicks getting in and out of there mercedes convertables....do some visssualising ! .....oh hangon, your just getting married eh ? no, scrub that idea.

Harry,

If you do go on your little excursion, I hope you're not the type that get's nervous about missing a plane!

2 hours you said... 20 minutes to Coorparoo Felixe said, minor accident on the Gateway Bridge on the way back, 1 hr 30 minutes! :eek: Normal morning or afernoon congestion 45 minutes. Don't even think about the cab running late! The balance of time isn't even enough to get eye contact in some of the shops mentioned!

See if you can book a cab for the return journey!

I fly out of Brisbane less than once a week and 80% of the time it's pretty good. On a (rare) crook day it can take 20 minutes to drive from the gateway arterial to the terminal! That only happens when I'm running late though...have to park short term at $60 a day then!:eek:

Oh, and for nine years I had a business at Clayfield (near Ascot wot Apricot described), and part of what we did was supplied food for Ansett (remember them). We were 10 minutes away, but never allowed less than 40, just in case. (we were never late for a delivery either!)

2-3 hours is what my beloved thinks we need to have up our sleeve whenever she is flying with me. (I usually wangle a boarding pass for the return flight when I check in on the outbound flight, so I can turn up at the last minute!)

As an aside, and perfectly seriously, what could they who suggest you
    visit Lazaredes enlightem me as to what they would expect one could get out of the visit? I'm curious, as lumps of uncut timber have never been my thing, and I wouldn't have put a half hour visit to a timber yard on my holiday itinerary, specially if I couldn't carry anything away with me?

I still think an airport meeting of the clan is the best bet!

cheers,
    P

Yeah, it could be fun if you did get stuck on the gateway, It only ever happened once to me but it did add a good half hour onto my trip from home (Coorparoo) to Nudgee beach. The chances of getting delayed 2 hours is unlikely - but I would hate for it to happen to you on that ONE OCCASION, so even though the midge is giving a worst case scenario,I agree with him.
    It really depends what Harry is into, if you like to look at all the polishing, stuff and other finishes, veneers and all the pyrography (did I spell it correctly?) equipment then Lazarides are a good place to go, plus you can pick up some extra reading for the flight? C & L tools have machinery but not really anything in the way of classic hand tools, these are still the closest places to the airport.
    One other thing I forgot to mention, if you go to Carbatec it is more likely the "customer service" will delay you than the traffic. It is common to wait 15 minutes for some bugger to serve you!!!! They just seem to stuff about there not really having any clue at all.

One other thing I forgot to mention, if you go to Carbatec it is more likely the "customer service" will delay you than the traffic. It is common to wait 15 minutes for some bugger to serve you!!!! They just seem to stuff about there not really having any clue at all.
    ONLY 15 minutes??? Have you got a special VIP card or something??

P

No VIP card, my strategy is after 15 minutes I get all "clumsy", I look like I might break something, so they rush me out the door!!:eek:
    But it does drive me CRAAAAAZZZYYYY trying to get served in that bloody shop!

Quote Originally Posted by AT
    Could pull up there, buy a $5 coffee and spend a good 1/2 hour perving on the pretty snobby chicks getting in and out of there mercedes convertables....do some visssualising ! .....oh hangon, your just getting married eh ? no, scrub that idea.
    Theres always dark sunglasses and strained eye muscles!

By the sounds of it maybe I'll just hang around the airport.