Default Render or Textured Paint?

Hi all, I have recently moved into a block built home; the previous owners had just painted the internal walls. I would prefer to have them smoother, i.e. I do not want to see the mortar joints...

I have done a little research and my options appear to be (a) board-up the walls, tape the joints, paint; (b) textured paint (Dulux Internal Texture paint); or (c) Cement based render.

I believe the cement render would be the cheapest, although all the info I have come across deals with external render, so does anyone know about internal render finishes? Option (b) looks good, but its pretty expensive stuff, does anyone have any experience of what its coverage is like, and lastly, option (a) I would rather not bother with! I did a load of plaster board work in my last house and can't face doing another whole house worth!

Thanks in advance for any comments/thoughts offered

If you're going to cement render, you'd have to remove at least 75% of the paint, either with a scabbler, or a scotch hammer. I've done my share of that in the past

Quote Originally Posted by pawnhead View Post
    If you're going to cement render, you'd have to remove at least 75% of the paint, either with a scabbler, or a scotch hammer. I've done my share of that in the past
    Sounds like hard, messy work... maybe the expensive interior paint would be the easiest option... money is not really the driving force though, so although its relatively expensive, if its gonna give me the best finish I'll fork out and get it... maybe a trip to bunnies and a read of the tin!

Your joints would have to be flush and in good shape, or they'll stand out through the texture coat.
    I wouldn't use texture coat inside a house. I reckon it would look a bit wierd. A smooth finish would be the norm.
    Plasterboard would be the best option IMO. Screw/spaghetti fix it straight on with some stud adhesive.

Your joints would have to be flush and in good shape, or they'll stand out through the texture coat.
    I wouldn't use texture coat inside a house. I reckon it would look a bit wierd. A smooth finish would be the norm.
    Plasterboard would be the best option IMO. Screw/spaghetti fix it straight on with some stud adhesive.
    Have you seen the interior texture finishes from Dulux (amongst others)? They look quite nice (IMHO).

http://www.dulux.com.au/html/textureint/

I was really hoping not to have to go down the plasterboard route... just done a whole house and am basically over it! But... maybe I'll just have to grin and bear it... do you reckon I'd get away with sticking it straight onto the block wall, or do I really have to pop battens up to stick it to first... I know, I know, lazy bastard... I'm just really over plaster-boarding!

Have you seen the interior texture finishes from Dulux (amongst others)? They look quite nice (IMHO).

http://www.dulux.com.au/html/textureint/

I was really hoping not to have to go down the plasterboard route... just done a whole house and am basically over it! But... maybe I'll just have to grin and bear it... do you reckon I'd get away with sticking it straight onto the block wall, or do I really have to pop battens up to stick it to first... I know, I know, lazy bastard... I'm just really over plaster-boarding!

I agree with pawnhead. I've got texture coat on my externals (already there when I bought). It's a few years old now, and it doesn't (IMO) age well. Internally, I'd go plasterboard anyday.
    Cheers
    TM