Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Question 3 phase wiring colours

Greetings,

Can anybody tell me if there are prescribed colours for the active wires in 3 phase wiring in Victoria.

I need to have a 3kw motor direct wired (with isolation switch and fuse/breaker of course) to a distribution board and am hoping to save some hard-earned by doing the dirty work myself. I have an electrician lined up for the connection etc. but I am doing the buying and most of the work.

The intention at this stage is to use individual 2.5mm wires inside grey conduit as it is all inside a building.

Aside from the green/yellow for the earth can the 3 actives be any colour ?

Regards,
    Rebus

neither black nor blue

Quote Originally Posted by Pulse
    neither black nor blue
    I thought the colour coding for 3 phase was: Neutral-black; earth-green/yellow trace; actives-red, white & blue. The power in my shed for 3 phase is run in twin and earth (red, black & green) plus twin (red and white).

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Good point Mick, I don't have AS3000 with me, but I know black is out, not so sure about the blue. The 3 phase at a shop of mine is also red/white, red/black/earth... maybe thats the go...

what's the colour in the large orange cables???

Pulse

Red, White and Blue is the norm (makes it easy to identify each phase) but I think you can use any colour other than black(neutral only), yellow or green. Not 100% sure though.
    Dan

red, white and blue are the best to use for phase identification and it's easier to work out which is which without having to test each end which reduces the sparkys time there and therefore cost and probably is cheaper to buy the three phase cable. Green, yellow and black cannot be actives any other colour can.
    Matt