Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Claret ash problem

I've made a dovetail saw handle from claret ash and applied BLO finish. This seemed to have darkened the grain (especially end grain, natch) unacceptably - almost a very muddy dark grey.
    Any ideas on finishing claret ash?
    cheers.

Just to clarify, are you talking about linseed oil finish?

If you're trying to protect the end-grain from darkening then maybe try some sanding sealer on the end-grain after sanding. Might help. Not sure of your choice of timber for this application, Claret Ash is quite soft and would be prone to dints and bangs.
    -Scott

sjt - yes linseed oil.
    I'll try sanding sealer or shellac next time. The claret was just what I had on hand. I've made another two in beech and one in blackwood. Dropped the blackwood one on the floor and it snapped in two along the short grain! Any recommendations for handle timbers? I've got some offcuts of blue gum I've been eying off for a handle or two.
    I'm just experimenting with shapes and textures for 4 old tenon saws I've had for years.
    thanks.

I like using desert timbers. Mulga or gidgee are my preferences and although pricey, very HARD and reasonably hard to get, look fantastic and are durable.
    -Scott