Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Finishing Coat

Default Finishing Coat

Hi this is my first post i just have a quick question on finishing coats when it comes to paint or woodwork im fairly clueless however i picked up a cheap queen bed and started restoring i followed the advice of one of the bunnings employees and so far has worked well.

Ive done all the prep work and sprayed on the dulux spray quickdry flatblack and its come up looking better than expected ive read that most people put on a clear finish to protect the paint without really paying much attention to what people use ive grabbed some white knight clear acrylic satin finish will this be alright to put on top of the dulux paint ive used i think the data sheet said its an enamel paint as ive heard of cases of a clear finish wrinkling the paint or is it better to use a clear poly as a finishin coat? Any suggestions will be appreciated cheers.

Hi Tommi,

You can put any clear varnish on top of your spray paint as long as there isn't a chemical reaction between the two (which is the problem you describe). THEREFORE, you must try a little bit of clear varnish on a bit of the spray paint (that will not be visible when the project is finished). Wait 24 hours to see if there has been a reaction. If not, you are clear to go. Good luck!

Anselm
    PS/. as a general rule, if your paint is water-based, your varnish should be water-based (and if you paint is white-sprit-based you should used a white-spirit-based varnish etc)
    Check out the Chippendale International School of Furniture for intensive cabinet making courses in Scotland.