Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default False Ceiling Query

Hi there,

Just having a false ceiling done. As I was painting it I can here some creaking in certain areas. Like as if something is loose. It is when you put a little pressure on it. It has been all aligned properly etc. About 30mm Alu furring channel has been used and bolts secured into cement. I have been told by the installer this is to be expected.

Is this normal?

Cheers
    Gazza
    <!-- / message -->

Post Thanks / Like

Need a bit more info,

Are the furring channels fixed direct to concrete using a clip. Or is the Ceiling suspended using metal rods and top cross rail.

It would be normal that if you pushed up on a suspended ceiling to get a bit of noise. Wind causing uplift can also have the same effect. It is mainly caused by the load being released and reapplied to metal on metal compontants. Therefore you are bound to hear noise when pushing up on the ceiling.

Don't go pushing up too hard or you could cause rods to detached from the hangers.

Cheers Rod Dyson
    Great plastering tips at
    www.how2plaster.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Rod,

They are attached via a metal rod that lets it hang lower. There are brackets that screw onto the rods and then the 30mm furning channels clips into the brackets.

So quite normal you think? The channel sits pretty snuggly in the bracket, hence I am surprised there is noise.

I guess its just the way it is.

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Quite normal to hear noises if you push up on the ceiling. However, it would depend on the noise. You have a lot of metal components in a suspended ceiling and when you knock it or push up you will create noise. The only real issue would be a rod letting go. The chances of this being the problem would be quite low.

<OIf a rod has let go it might be a problem. An experienced person would be able to tell by the sound what is going on. If you are really concerned then I would get an unbiased opinion from another source. Without hearing it I can't help you any more than this.<O<O

Rod<O
    Great plastering tips at
    www.how2plaster.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Rod,

I might be a real nerd and take a 5 sec video clip that will record the noise it makes and post it up.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Rod,

Is it ok if I email you the avi file of the creaking?

What is your email if this is ok?

Thanks a lot!
    Gazza

Post Thanks / Like

I have uploaded a 3mb avi that hopefully people can see. It is a bit dark but I was applying a bit of pressure with the bottom of my hand clenched.

The furring channels are about 600mm apart and you can see the type below.

Thanks

http://www.upload2.net/page/download...creak.AVI.html

This is just one lying around that was cut -hence looks all f -ed up..

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ben.

I have had a good listen to the sound. I’m pretty sure the reason for it is that one side of the furring channel is not locked into the clip.
    <O
    What seems to be happening is that when you press up the furring channel lip only just starts to catch on the clip but let’s go again when the load is re- applied.
    <O
    I’m fairly confident it is only one side, because if both sides were out you would not be able to get it to even start to lock into place.
    <O
    There is a chance that you can get the furring channel to spring into place. I would give this a try. Get a flat board like an off cut of flooring. Lay it flat directly under where the noise is. Then push the ceiling up, while keeping the upward pressure give the board ONE rap with a hammer. Directly under the noise, if it doesn’t go in with one hit it is unlikely to go in at all.
    <O
    The next option is to put a screw through the furring channel directly into the concrete. You will need a 100 mm screw plastic spaghetti and a washer. Drill through the furring channel into the concrete, cut out just enough of the plasterboard to fit the washer. You will only have a tiny hole to patch and a solid ceiling.
    <O
    When I posted above that it is normal to hear sounds if you push up on a suspended ceiling, I was referring to a ceiling that is hung from 5mm metal rods, that create some flex when there is up lifting.
    <O
    With the system you have, there is no flex at all therefore no sounds. It is not a loose fitting into the concrete, and there is no danger of the ceiling collapsing. However it is preferable that it is fixed.
    <O
    Hope this helps Ben.
    <O
    Rod Dyson
    Great plastering tips at
    www.how2plaster.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Rod,

Thank you very much for the reply.

I spoke to the guy who installed them..he has done them before and reckons that it is normal for these to make that noise. Within the bracket there is a little movement allowed..as you can see the cutouts in the bracket are slightly larger than the furing channel profile that goes in.

I'm not entirely convinced on that.

But I did see all the furing channels clipped in nicely before the boards went up. They used the laser level to get it all correct and it looks like the celing is nice and level at present.

I understand what you say Rod but the ceiling wouldn't look level if one side wasn't clipped in - wouldn't you think?

Maybe I will ring the manufacturer of these channels or fixtures..

I tend to agree with you Rod that there shouldnt really be any noise in this type