Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Cutting Weatherboards

I have a number of weatherboards to cut out and replace due to rot.

What is the be best way to cut them accurately?

I did think about buying a reciprocating saw......but then everything I read on this board indicated they can be uncontrollable!

Use a small circular saw with a fine blade and cut through a small bit of the overlapping board?................I don't know whether I would be happy on a ladder at 2-3 m doing this.

Pad saw.....well I have bought a nice one but trying to get the right angle to cut is difficult when on the ladder......and near impossible on the bottom boards.

Has anybody come with an idea for providing a guiding rail for the cuts?

Any advice greatfully recieved

Timber Rascal,
    The easiest and most accurate way is to use a plain old panel saw or tenon saw, start with the end of the saw scratching its way through the first 2 - 3 inches, then away you go. Don't waste your money on those other saws you mentioned can be dangerous and difficult. I have a strict code of ethics and that is you do not take power tools up on to ladders or scaffolding or roof framing (drills exempt).
    As for working on the ladder, not a problem, get to the required height for your saw operations then start cutting; don't look down think you are on the ground. I know that sounds a bit of a smart ar**, however, you will soon manage , after working at heights for years it does no worry you.
    Good Luck,
    Cheers, Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Rascal View Post
    Use a small circular saw with a fine blade and cut through a small bit of the overlapping board?................I don't know whether I would be happy on a ladder at 2-3 m doing this.

That's what I use, I have a small 7 1/4" CS just for that purpose and I have done it up to 8 metres high.

However if you don't feel comfortable cutting timber one handed on a ladder (you must use the other hand to hold onto the ladder ) then don't do it and get a tradesman in to do it for you. If you're not confident you are most likely to have an accident and then the money you would have saved isn't worth it.

Peter.