Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default French Polish Indentation Help PLEASE

Hi everyone i recently refinished a rifle stock in french polish. It was recently at a gunsmith and it has come back with an indentation, as though it had been in a vice, the grain has not been broken(i think) is there anything i can do to get them out. It looks dead perfect except that and it is digging at me. I cant take a photo, keeps reflecting the flash, but it is about 1cm by 4mm. Could i get 600 wet and dry sand over that bad spot moving up to 2000 grit then try to match french polish around it or will it stand out like dogs balls??? Or could i put a damp cloth over it and steam it out or would that wreck the rest of the finish. Please help i spent 2 weeks polish and waxing that stock during my school holiday break and now...
    Thanx Josh

Post Thanks / Like

G'day Josh and welcome to the forums.

re your problem, if no timber has been removed and it is just a dent then the fibres are only crushed. The finish probably will need to be removed before you can try the following. You can restore the surface by placing a damp rag over the dent and gently steaming the rag with an iron - the moisture penetrates the crushed fibres and they will swell. The area can then be refinished after it is dry - you may find that the surface swells "larger" than the surrounds which may require some very light sanding to restore it to its original level. Pity the gunsmith did not take more care with your project.

Regards,
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maplesyrup View Post
    Hi everyone i recently refinished a rifle stock in french polish. It was recently at a gunsmith and it has come back with an indentation, as though it had been in a vice, the grain has not been broken(i think) is there anything i can do to get them out. It looks dead perfect except that and it is digging at me. I cant take a photo, keeps reflecting the flash, but it is about 1cm by 4mm. Could i get 600 wet and dry sand over that bad spot moving up to 2000 grit then try to match french polish around it or will it stand out like dogs balls??? Or could i put a damp cloth over it and steam it out or would that wreck the rest of the finish. Please help i spent 2 weeks polish and waxing that stock during my school holiday break and now...
    Thanx Josh
    I would ask the gunsmith first to remedy the problem and if he does not want to, tell him he needs to pay for the repair/refinish or at least refund some of the money you paid to him. There is no excuse for denting the stock.
    Regards
    Andy

PS, I agree with Bob on the method for fixing the problem. Andy
    Last edited by aak; 16th January 2009 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Added PS: