Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Sealing Kwila indoor staircase

Hi,
    I purchased 'Spa-n-deck acrylic wood finish' to seal our new, indoor kwila staircase on the advice of our local solver store agent. After reading the instructions I'm now unsure that this will be the correct product to seal this staircase. We were told by the installers to seal our staircase within a week of installation so that it wouldn't get damaged by water, stains etc. However the above product says to prepare by saturating with water then applying and to wait 3-6 months to use on new wood. Does anyone have any advice on what to use and how to prepare our new (indoor) kwila staircase?

Thanks!
    Emma

Saturating with water INDOORS could be a bit messy! Maybe the sales guy just heard kwila and not indoors cos its usually used on decks. Kwila does have its own natural oils so I don't know why the installers are panicking about sealing it. Water and stains are really not gonna do much to it.

Maybe go somewhere that has lots of brands not just their own. I'm a fan of oiling timber but that is just me!
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

Default Oils for stairs

Saturating with water is to open up the pores and then the waiting is to allow the tannins to leach out.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    I suspect the reason for treating the staircase within a week, is so the surface will not mark. Staircases usually come finely sanded and you may .get a slight paler patch where water has been if not treated. Oil is the way to go as with time and wear and tear, you can rejuvenate the steps easily without sanding the surface back. Plus, a clear oil with allow the beautiful colours of the timber to come thru.<o></o>
    <o></o>
    Livos Australia

<O</O