Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Smile share 400grit sanding disks?

All of my restoration projects to date have been hand sanded, but I've gone soft (well I am 6 months pregnant) and bought a random orbital.

My favourite papers are aluminium oxide (or wet and dry for finer grits), and I've managed to get 180 and 250 grit disks (125mm) from the local hardware. To get 400 grit for the almost final sand (yes I will be finishing by hand), I've been told I can order the disks from Nortons but I have to buy in lots of 100.

I anticipate 100 sanding disks lasting me forever and wondered if anyone wants to buy half of them for cost price?

Steph
    Canberra

Go to one of the trade tools suppliers, they'll already have what you want (+more!), and you'll be able to buy one box, or a pallet load of 'em.
    Semtex fixes all

Check out your local Carbatec store, they will have a full range of sanding disks.

Canberra: 6/145 Gladstone St, Fyshwick ACT 2609
    Tel: (02) 6280 0620

I get my higher grade discs from a local panel shop. Depending on who I speak to how much it costs (if at all).
    You could try local furniture makers / car painters also.
    Some shops will post items if you send a cheque so don't be scared to ring/look interstate
    Great minds discuss ideas,
    average minds discuss events,
    small minds discuss people

Thanks for the tips - I'll give Carbatec a call and/or talk to the next door neighbour who is a sprayer/panel beater!

Steph

Try also Combined electrical services in Fyshwick ( newcastle street) they also have packs of sanding disks.

Hahah, yeah any excuse to go to fyshwick

Neither Carbatec nor Bunnings at Tuggers have 400 grit in 125mm, but the guy at Carbatec suggested using a scouring pad used by turners etc for burnishing. These come in 500 grit - do you think this would be too fine? He also suggested I try a cabinet scraper, but perhaps I'll leave that for a job I can afford to stuff up or where I have scrap timber!

It might be easier to tell what I really need in the next few days when I get around to sanding some of this cabinet with 240 grit paper - so far I've only been working with coarser paper to remove the remnants of undercoat that didn't come off with stripper.

Geez it looks lovely though even now - solid Kauri Pine made in 1942 and until I started work on it was painted with white enamel. It was a bit of a pot luck win as I didn't even know what the timber was.

Steph

PS. I can take or leave Fyshwick - give me a hardware store any day

Both Carbetewa and Timbecon in Perth have from 40 to 600 grit 125mm sanding disks. Send them an email and enquire about postage costs.
    CarbetecWA
    Timbecon

Scotchbrite pads come in coarse(white), medium(green), fine(maroon), and superfine(grey). Sorry can't remember their grit equivalents. CarbetecWA have all this rage.

Triton has 125mm hook & loop discs at 400, 600 & 1200 grit but they're not that easy to come by.

My local hardware has them readily in 400 but is reluctant to get the others in (he's got to get more than 1 packet and if he can't sell he won't buy !!).

Try Triton direct at : www.triton.net.au
    [email protected]
    1300 655 686

I've bought a bit of stuff from them and their response time and postage rates are reasonable.

Good luck !!
    R. McCarthy
    Name the greatest of all inventors - accident !

G'day.

You can try ringing the Auto Paint suppliers too, they should be able to point you in the right direction.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Do your disks have a glue on back or the velcro type. If glue on you can make your own as I do useing artists glue or bicycle repair glu (it's the same stuff) and cut the air holes with a bit of sharpened metal umbrella handle. Works OK for me.

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Total Tools have some very fine grits off the shelf, or call Gills Tools in Melbourne, he has 2000 grit for memory.
    I buy quite a few of him for my Rotex.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.