Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Ubeaut Hard Shellac: a quick and dirty durability test

A forum member sent me a PM asking about a finish for a Huon table.

It was kind of him to think I was any kind of expert; I just replied that my first thought would be the Ubeaut product, given Neil's claims.

In any case as it happened last week I used the stuff to finish a Vic Ash board that was going to get hard use as a platform for my water stones. The board got 3 generous undiluted coats just wiped on.

So I did a quick test. Each nasty was left on for 30 mins.

1. Water. Beaded up. No damage.

2. Meths (96% ethanol) to simulate a spirit spill. It dissolved the surface some of which concentrated at the spill perimeter and dried. The surface was still clearly coated but matt instead of satin. Repairable? I'm sure Neil will advise.

3. Hot mug. Chose one that leaves a cloudly bloom under the poly surface on our commercially made coffee table. No marking at all.

Using meths to simulate a spirit spill is drawing a long bow perhaps, as spirits normally have a much higher water content and I don't know how a water/ethanol mix would go. None in the house to try.

And no, this is not a test of a 'French Polish'. I didn't cut the first coat, didn't sand between coats and didn't wait for a full moon to do the job!

Overall the stuff looks pretty good to me.

Hope this helps.
    Cheers, Ern

Hi Ern, thanks for the headsup on this one, as I have often wondered about hardshellac and how it copes with the vagaries of normal everyday living. I have only used normal shellac and done the French polish thing be it for antiques I have restored or as per use on house joinery, ie. doors, skirtings, overmantles and architraves.

However, I previously used organoil, and bees wax polished a bench top in the kitchen, while on the other one which was more likely to suffer water damage over time, given that the sink is located in it, used the Feast Watson Floor seal product (mix of Tung Oil and Poly). I tried the two to see how each would last over time.

The bench top which has the sink in it, now needs to be sanded back, some 8 years later, (lightly and re-coated) but only around where water spills onto the surface. The other bench top, despite being on either side of the stove, has survived well, with only the occasional waxing. I never place hot pots on the surfaces, and always clearup any water spillages etc.

But I am wondering whether something like hard shellac could also be a really option, for such surfaces, given I have a really strong aversion to using Polyeurathane.

Maybe Neil or someone else familiar with this finish may be able to provide some more incites into its use and durability, let alone finish qualities. Dave

If you click on the "U-Beaut Polishes" sign at the top of this thread you can then go to the Hard Shellac information which should answer most of the queries.

I am sure that Neil will later add to the discussion
    Tom

"It's good enough" is low aim

These sort of real world trials are so handy. Thanks so much rsser. & yer the metho test was really stretching it, i think alcohol would hardly mar the finish.

I love this stuff, its all I use now...as some of you would have gathered....

Question - anyone used on a floor? or is that a bit of a stretch?

I sanded back my kitchen island hardwood benchtop earlier in the year, about 6 months ago and refinished it with Ubeaut's Hard Shellac, about 6 coats I think. Sure, i look after it by keeping it clean, wiping up spills etc and it is early days yet, but except for one small scratch, it has held up so well.

also found this post from ubeaut

G'day Ern - Yeah, just a bit harsh with the ethanol, we're talking drinking (sipping/quaffing) alcohol in the specs. Not pure rip your face off industrial alcohol, thinners, etc.

Quick question.... Did you allow the stipulated 20 odd days for the shellac to fully cross link before the ethanol test?

My test pieced are not here at the moment so can't do exactly what you did. But I currently have one of our stirring stick soaking in 100% Ethanol for the last hour. Have pulled it out and am allowing it to dry naturally. Not using a rag as 1 hr is a bit over the top on fresh shellac and will probably pull it a bit. I'll leave it for a few hours to dry and continue this reply later.

The particular stirring stick I'm using was only used a few days ago so is still green and will have only barely started to cross link.

Cheers - Neil

No Neil; I did wonder about the cross-linking so made a point of saying that the board had only been done last week.

And yes, if there'd been some sipping whisky in the house I would've used that instead of the garden variety meths. Only a drop or two though!

(And I've forgotten the name for meths plus boot polish which is a tipple of choice for some hardy souls).

In any case, around my place that particular coffee mug has caused some grief and I was impressed with how the Hard Shellac coped.
    Cheers, Ern

Continuing on: Very slight dulling on the stick not too noticeable but buffed out easily with EEE-Ultra Shine. Also polish reviver worked on it.

Found one of the test pieces and left 100% Ethanol on the surface for 10 minutes and could see no appreciable difference in the finish. Also put on a spot of 30 year old Glenfiddich and Smirnoff 100-Proof Vodka and a bit of tongue oil from licking it off.

No visible difference. The test piece used was done around 7 mth ago so well and truly cross linked.

A gent from USA told me he had used Shellawax on some wooden ceremonial goblets that were used twice a month to make a toast with Wild Turkey and after 18 mth there was still no visible signs of marking. A couple had dulled ever so slightly, but a rub over with a soft dry cloth fixed it. Shellawax is based on our Hard Shellac.

Does Wild Turkey have any alcohol in it?

Would the Yanks notice if it didn't?

I'd like a test regime that I could write off on tax, like Neil's }

'Commissioner, of course I had to use 2l of Talisker for the test. That's what my customers are likely to slop on my yew-bewt finish, slobs that they are!' ;-}

Good result anyway.

So what does Hard Shellac taste like?
    Cheers, Ern

Does Wild Turkey have any alcohol in it?
    I believe it was 101 proof.... So, um yep jus a lil bit.

So what does Hard Shellac taste like?
    Bit like a cross between a beaufiful sinle malt, a wreally good wodka wiv a bid off horze riniment frown in for goo messsher... Yipee

Cool. Send me 4l pls!!
    Cheers, Ern

Ya can't drink it or you'll die......

But you'll have a beautiful finish.

Boom boom

So guys, a question if I may and no I havn't read the links so perhaps all the answers are there, but can you effectively use hard shellac as say similar as normal shellac but say for a antique kitchen table or benches, and effectively french polish the stuff, or is it too difficult to cut back and eventually wax polish to get a nice finish.

I ask as until I joined this forum I had never heard of the stuff. I am curious. If it is yet another effective finish to use I would be interested in obtaining some, but again how, from where, what quantities does it come in (is it a flake which you mix with metho like normal shellac or does it come pre-mixed) and lastly how much to post down to Hobart, which of course would depend on the weight/size of the container I assume.

Also what is the deal with eee ultra shine and polish reviver. What is there purpose.

Sorry if these are all dumb questions. Dave