Hi Guys,

My first post. I live in a single fronted Victroian weatherboard house in Melbourne. On one side of the house there is a shared studded wall. We have been thinking about adding an extension to the rear. The land slopes back and as a result I have been thinking about the possibilty of excavating at the rear to include a brick garage under the planned extension. We've had a re-astablishment survey done some time ago and would only need to excavate 600mm at the deepest point for the garage floor and another 600mm for the footing the brick wall of the garage would sit on.
Now the part I've been thinking about is that the excavation/footing would have to run for about 3 meters on the boundary line right at the base of the neighbouring property. There are 3 of the neighbouring stumps next to where the footing would need to go.
I'm curious as to how the this part of the excvation would be done ensuring the neighbouring property is safley supported whilst the footing is dug out, footing poured and my garage/retaining wall is built?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm just trying to understand how much work would be involved before I start asking for quotes for this option?

Thanks,
Sulio