Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Red face World's slowest decking build?

Finally got some boards laid on a deck I started several years ago. This photo was taken on 09-Apr-2K5, just before I started laying joists & bearers. (I shouldn't have laid them back then... they were hard as rock when I finally got around to trying to nail the boards down this week. )
    Attachment 64327
    Over the next 12 months, we ran some steps, planter boxes and the piers up to full height, ready for lintels (I'm not looking forward to installing them... the deck is 10mx5m and you can see from the pix that they'll have to be >3m each, with the end ones at around 4.5m. Oh, my aching back!) FWIW, the deck will be roofed, hopefully looking something like a feature we have out the front:
    Attachment 64328
    The decking boards are 90mm Merbau, laid with a 10mm gap. I know this is a bit larger gap than usual, but it fits well with the general "feel" of the house. It was hand-nailed [groan] over the last 3 days, using some 3.5kg of galv twist nails.

So... a few pix of my effort as it currently stands:
    Attachment 64333
    Attachment 64336
    As you can clearly see in the following pic, I ran a 1m wide band around the edge at the diagonal. This was for two reasons... mainly because we expect heavy weathering at the ends of the deck, even after it's finally roofed and completely finished. This way, replacing sections will be far easier and cheaper than replacing whole runs of board.

Also, and by no means of less import, IMHO it makes for a nice decorative effect.
    Attachment 64335
    To reduce any visual problems where the ends of the diagonal boards met the ends of the "horizontal" boards I added a single "vertical" board at each end, as a visual divider. (I'm kicking myself for not running another couple between the two pairs of inner piers, dividing the centre section into 3, but it's easy to say "I shoulda" when you have the benefit of hindsight. )
    Attachment 64334

Any feedback or comments (esp. valid criticisms of the construction) are welcome; I'm a general contractor and decking is not my forte, so if you can see a booboo or potential future problems with my concept, please let me know so I don't do it again next time!

At this rate, I reckon it'll be finished around... oh... Xmas 2010. As I said,it's been a slow process. But I believe she's as solid as a brick shytehouse.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off for a long soak in a tub. I reckon 3 days or so in there and a coupla gallons o' zinc cream should see me right. [groan]
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Very Arty I think ! get out of the bath and finish it LOL!

Geez you must have a very patient client, but she looks like a rippa
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Timber View Post
    Geez you must have a very patient client, but she looks like a rippa
    Patient? No. Broke, yes. The current estimation for materials alone (when finished) is around $30k

- Andy Mc

bloody beauty - i love the diagonals i think you've hit on a winner there;

what is the residence? the storm shutters look a bit full-on? sort of like a nouveau-grecian pill-box or something... <mumble, mumble>

"Man got the opposable thumb - woman got four opposable fingers." - Rowdy

Quote Originally Posted by brynk View Post
    bloody beauty - i love the diagonals i think you've hit on a winner there;
    Thanks.

what is the residence? the storm shutters look a bit full-on? sort of like a nouveau-grecian pill-box or something... <mumble, mumble>
    Yeah, when I was first approached about working on the place it was just a big, sandstone box - looked like a military bunker. Much of my input has involved adding different levels of construction so it doesn't look quite so... "unassailable."

The place is often unattended for lengthy periods of time and had been broken into a couple of times, so the shutters were a security compromise. They do the job (a couple of times since, we've found jimmy marks where the bastards have tried again. ) As a bonus, they help keep the house nice'n'cool on stinkin' hot days.

- Andy Mc