Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default BMI spirit levels vs Lufkin or Stabila

looking at purchasing a decent 1200mm level , i know stabila have always been good levels and im guessing lufkin too being austrian made and my lufkin tape has lasted me for years. glenfords seem to have a sale on for bmi levels its $60 ($30 dollars cheaper then a stabila) for a 1200 bmi level which includes a bag and a shirt if you subscribe to them, are they any good? they are made in germany like stabila plus the have a 3 vials and are pretty robust like the stabila? any ideas would be appreciated thanks

Default Test

Not having heard of BMI when it comes to levels, this is one way I would test the accuracy.

Get one of the Stabila or Lufkin levels, longer the better, then get one of the BMI ones and place it on top of the Stabila/Lufkin levels. Holding the two levels on on top of each other, get the Stabila/Lufkin one reading level and then check to see what the BMI one shows in its bubble. Can be done to check the horizontal, vertical or 45 bubbles.

If there is some variation, it may pay to check using a second Stabila/Lufkin just in case there is some small amount of narrowing along the top edge (unlikely but possible).

If there is no detectable difference then there is little reason why you shouldn't consider the cheaper option.

I have often been slightly suspicious when tool companies start offering clothing etc free if you buy their product. Not always justifiably I will admit but it is just my nature to be suspicious......

Hope this helps.

After spending a fair few years with Lufkin and Stabila (1200 and 600) levels attached permanently to my arms whilst doing landscape construction I aquired a 600mm Empire about two years ago. I would never go back to any other level now and am awaiting an excuse to upgrade my 1200mm lufkin to an Empire as well.

Sorry, cannot comment on BMI but.......

I just aquired one of These!
    Very clever, beeps when level or vertical achieved. Copies an angle and then beeps when the same angle is achieved!
    Readout inverts itself when flipped over for overhead work.
    The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
    Albert Einstein

cheers for the replies guys and ill do that accuracy test ray and if its works out sweet i'll probably buy it

Hi J,

My Stabila level went with my ex, defective model, but the Stabila was perfect. So I got a 1000mm BMI as a stopgap. Have to say, it has been great. As good as the Stabila to me, and cheaper.

Cheers
    Pops

I've got a 600, 900 and 1200mm Stabila levels. I'm a chippie by trade (office/shop fitout) and the 1200 level has spent the last 12 years being carted from job to job and bar one of the plumb viles it is still 100% accurate thanks to living in a hard plastic case when not is use.

12 months ago left it on the rear step of my ute, forgot about it and took off down the Western Ring road in Melbourne losing it in the process. Replaced it with an Empire level after a mate raved on about how great they are, lifetime garrantee on accuracy and super strong. Made the fatal mistake of not checking it in the shop (was out of level 5mm over it's length), returned it and spent almost an hour going through the shops entire stock until I found a level I was happy with. The alarm bells should have gone off then to just buy another Stabila. While it's a good level, I find it extremly dificult to read compared to the Stabila.

2 weeks later I get a phone call from a total stranger "hey mate, did you lose a level 2 weeks ago?".
    Turns out some years ago I had written my name and number on a sticker on the level case, but over time the last 2 digits had rubbed off. This good smaratian who saw my level fly off the back of the ute around a corner, pulled over picked it up and then spent the next 2 weeks dialing my number and making up the last 2 digits until he got me! He was a chippie himself, knew what it was like to lose tools and just wanted to make sure I got it back.

Bar the road burn on the case the level is still spot on accurate! and I couldn't return the Empire as I had already engraved my name in it. So when I have to choose between my brand new unmarked super accurate Empire and my 12 year old 'road kill' Stabila, I choose.....

The Stabila.

It doesn't matter which level you get as long as you can read it easy. As a bricky for 20 years you get in the habit of always reversing the level to average out any faults. Levels on the job get used as leavers to shift and level windows that have been put in wrong. bricks fall on them, they fall of the scaffold. They are hard to kill. Never had one break. Some of them older levels can be adjusted. I have about 6 @ 1200 and a few smaller ones for inside fire places etc. Don't spend too much money just reverse the level when you take a reading. Get one that you can read from above not the ones with the bubble in the middle.
    Last edited by Pagie; 22nd June 2010 at 07:57 AM. Reason: spelling
    I am learning, slowley.

Bmi are as good as stabilla, empire are junk we got a couple 2mt levels are ended up junking them, there was a storey going around that the shipping container got dropped but I just think they are shoody

Quote Originally Posted by Gaza View Post
    empire are junk we got a couple 2mt levels are ended up junking them,
    Take them back if their out of whack. They have a lifetime garrantee on accuracy.

The latest Mitre 10 catalogue landed in my letterbox today. The 1200mm Empire is on sale for $59.95. I paid $100ish for mine 12 months ago, although it came with a padded case.

Although knowing what I've learnt now, I'd spend the extra and get a Stabila.

Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    Hi J,

My Stabila level went with my ex, defective model, but the Stabila was perfect. So I got a 1000mm BMI as a stopgap. Have to say, it has been great. As good as the Stabila to me, and cheaper.

Cheers
    Pops
    i ended up buying the bmi i couldn't fault it after doing the accuracy tests with various stabila and lufkin levels at glenfords , but i also couldn't resist buying a 600mm stabila aswell

Surprised to hear the negatives about the Empires, were they the box levels with the grab handles cut into them that you guys had? As I said, I love my 600mm and have used some mates 1200mm ones as well and they were also great.

I find the blue vials much easier to read than the yellow stabila and lufkin ones, the vials also seem to be larger which I think helps as well.

As has been said, always check any levels before buying.

Hi Joey,

I also have a 600mm Stabila, the first level I ever bought, is very old and has done a lot of work but still spot on accurate, and I love it. It is my favourite level. The BMI get all the rough jobs though.

Also have a brickie's Stabila, about 250-270mm long, (am told it's called a brickie's level anyway). this is great for powerpoints and small shelves etc. It is not rectangular, looks like a very squashed pyramid. Very handy I have found.

I do like the look of the empire levels and agree with Burnsy, the blue vials are easy to read.

Cheers
    Pops